"Town of Towers under the Thunder Mountain" Kirchheimbolanden by christine.j

Kirchheimbolanden Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 33 photos

Doesn't that sound like straight our of a fantasy book? This is what the small town of Kirchheimbolanden calls itself.
Well,it's true there are quite a lot of towers for such a small place, and the highest mountainin the area is called Thundermountain, but no dragons are fighting here.
It is simply a nice, small town, administrative center for the area, no industry at all, so it was not bombed and destroyed in the wars of 20th century.
Since the towns and villages around it are even smaller, Kirchheimbolanden has been the seat of the administration for centuries. The name is usually shortened to Kibo, which is much easier to say.

I had been near it very often, but this was my first real visit there and I liked it a lot. Growing up there must be hard, though, wonderful for small children, but nothing to do for teenagers. In fact I don't remember visiting a town which was quieter that Kibo. When I asked where the town center was, I was told I was standing right in it.

It reminded me of a small town in France, during lunch hour when nobody is out in the streets. Some memories of my childhood, probably, but when I read about the history of Kibo I learned that Napoleon had built a road from Paris to Mainz right through it. So there is some French influence after all.

The name Thundermountain most likely comes from the Germanic god Donar. He was the highest god of the Germanic tribes. When the Romans were in the area, they renamed this mountain Jupiter's mountain, by the way. With 687 meter high the mountain is the highest in the Palatinate. I can see it from my balcony.

• Pros:Surprisingly pretty
  • Cons:A bit too quiet for my taste
  • In a nutshell:Good for a visit or two, but I wouldn't want to live there
  • Last visit to Kirchheimbolanden: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2008

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Another discovery of a lovely little town for those of us from far off lands. For such a small place, it really has crammed in a lot of interesting historical sights. Yes, he does look like a cowboy.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Love the half -timbered houses, so nice! Would be worth stopping and having a look here, quite historical!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM

A nice little place that I wil try to visit when I will go to Strasbourg. Amazing student/cowboy! I love Haus der Diakonie ! Yes, the war Memorial could have been in France as well

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Great to see that so much history is preserved here :~)

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 3:26 AM

Like so much German half timbered houses ! Your pictures are wonderful...good tips !

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I used to enjoy cruising through KIB on my bike or in my car. Surrounded by some many weinberge you know that Spargelzeit is not the only great time to be up here. Look forward to your visit to the top of Donnersberg! ;-]

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Nice updates Christine but no more cowboys :) just a student!!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Excellent page showing nice architecture. Like the tip of water fountains within a city wall.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Another little storybook town - Germany has so many pretty places like this. Thanks for introducing me to it. leyle

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

A small german town out of a fantasy book like many other towns and villages which I like so much! Thanks Christine for sharing and reminding me that it's time to plan another trip to Germany in the end of August...

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Kirchheimbolanden

Have you been to Kirchheimbolanden?

Latest Activity in Kirchheimbolanden