"Town of Towers under the Thunder Mountain" Kirchheimbolanden by christine.j
Kirchheimbolanden Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 33 photos
Doesn't that sound like straight our of a fantasy book? This is what the small town of Kirchheimbolanden calls itself.
Well,it's true there are quite a lot of towers for such a small place, and the highest mountainin the area is called Thundermountain, but no dragons are fighting here.
It is simply a nice, small town, administrative center for the area, no industry at all, so it was not bombed and destroyed in the wars of 20th century.
Since the towns and villages around it are even smaller, Kirchheimbolanden has been the seat of the administration for centuries. The name is usually shortened to Kibo, which is much easier to say.
I had been near it very often, but this was my first real visit there and I liked it a lot. Growing up there must be hard, though, wonderful for small children, but nothing to do for teenagers. In fact I don't remember visiting a town which was quieter that Kibo. When I asked where the town center was, I was told I was standing right in it.
It reminded me of a small town in France, during lunch hour when nobody is out in the streets. Some memories of my childhood, probably, but when I read about the history of Kibo I learned that Napoleon had built a road from Paris to Mainz right through it. So there is some French influence after all.
The name Thundermountain most likely comes from the Germanic god Donar. He was the highest god of the Germanic tribes. When the Romans were in the area, they renamed this mountain Jupiter's mountain, by the way. With 687 meter high the mountain is the highest in the Palatinate. I can see it from my balcony.
- Pros:Surprisingly pretty
- Cons:A bit too quiet for my taste
- In a nutshell:Good for a visit or two, but I wouldn't want to live there
The war memorial again reminded me of French small towns, I can't say why. Next time I'm in France I will have to look... more travel advice
Preserving old buildings is very interesting, it keeps a sense for history alive, but it also very expensive! If... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Kirchheimbolanden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town of Towers under the Thunder Mountain"
- Create a Kirchheimbolanden Travel Page
- Things to Do in Kirchheimbolanden
- Transportation in Kirchheimbolanden
- Restaurants in Kirchheimbolanden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kirchheimbolanden
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Kirchheimbolanden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kirchheimbolanden
Photos in KirchheimbolandenSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 44 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos