"A sleepy town with lots of history" Ladenburg by christine.j

Ladenburg Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 248 photos

Ladenburg is a small town close to Mannheim and Heidelberg. In Roman times it was the capital of the region here, back then an international, busy town. The bishops of Worms ruled there for about 1000 years.Today it is a very quiet,small town with very good restaurants.
Just to illustrate how quiet it is today:
Some weeks ago I was waiting on the market square when a car was being towed. In Mannheim of Frankfurt nobody would look twice, but in Ladenburg erverything stopped. It was a market day, the farmers were watching, their customers were watching, the schoolkids were watching and when the car was gone, everybody started talking about it. Finally something had happened! Other people who had been too late to see the action were pitied , and then they were told every tiny bit.

Update September 2007

The only update is a tip in the warning and danger section, which really illustrates the term "sleepy" little town for Ladenburg.

• Last visit to Ladenburg: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2010

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Another interesting, informative page! Feel sorry for the women being put in the Tower! I have been on the wrong platform,as am not used to public transport. Tram went past, so then I had to go across and wait for the next!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 8:38 AM

What a fscinating little town. It has all the things I like. Stained glass, good restaurants(Zur Sackpfeifesounds so good!) history, mysteries and hidden secrets - even my kind of music festival. What a great tour you gave here!

• klondike01's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Thank you for this suggestion. We had a very special meal here before Christmas and your report was right-on.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Was für ein traumhaft schönes Städtchen. Ich war gestern zum ersten Mal dort und bin überwältigt. Russell geht es genauso! Liebe Grüße, Kathrin

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Stones to remind and great honey you'll find!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 5:05 AM

It always amazes me when I read VT pages how much there is to see in places I've never heard of! This page is a great example of that :) I loved the stories of Berta Benz and of your pelican search :))

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 7:57 AM

A very interesting city for my next visit to Baden-Wurttemberg. I've been there many times and saw a lot of wonderful small towns. Glad to be acquainted with one more with your help. Especially about Carl Benz. Thanks Chrisine fot the virtual tour!

• Apr 22, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Hello My hubby and i are stationed in mannheim. We are going to Ladenburg coming up (1st week in may). Thanks for being detailed you had such good info i was amazed.. Do you know any great places here to travel with the kids. safe travels to you

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Great page full of fantastic and unique tips. I lik the story of Carl Benz and her wife's first ever long car drive :-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Ha ha Christine - I thought I'd seen this = gardening is one of my hobbies = so gald I don't come across human remains

christine.j Visits Here Frequently!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Ladenburg

Have you been to Ladenburg?

Latest Activity in Ladenburg