"Old Vine, good Wine and a good Time" Maribor by christine.j

Maribor Travel Guide: 364 reviews and 916 photos

Some years ago we had to cancel our holiday in Slovenia in the last minute, this time we were determined to go there, even if it was just for a few days.

Our destination was Maribor and we started looking for information about the city, booked our train tickets, looked for a hotel close to the station and booked it, packed our bags and then my husband got food poisoning the day before we were going. We were wondering if there was curse on our plan to go to Slovenia.

The next morning he felt better, but still not good enough to face several hours in a train.So we changed our plan once more and decided to go by car, luckily it was not too far, roughly 750 km.

It was surprisingly hard to get information about Maribor. I got some very good tips and help in the Maribor forum here on VT and on the pages, but the information in the guidebooks I read was sparse, sometimes even contradicting. Getting a city map was impossible outside of Slovenia.

VT member Picek had told me about the Martin's day festivities on 11 November. My daughter extended her stay so she could be there. She loved it, even though she couldn't understand any of the Slovenian performances. But luckily you don't need to speak the language to enjoy the wine.

Maribor will be European Capital of Culture next year. Lots of events are planned - a good reason to go back.

• Last visit to Maribor: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2011

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Looks like a lovely place. Great photos. Irene

• picek's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Hi, nice page you've made and I am sure it will help other people with your insights. Soon they will finish chestnuts... in fact those remaining till now are full of worms already :) Greetings from windy corner of Slovenia, v.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM

It seems you had good fun in Maribor and no longer think that there is a curse :-) Given the beautiful town it is interesting why not that much information is out in www, so good that you have added your experience :-) I like that cute turtle house and the beautiful houses. And the food - chestnut cream, thick hot chocolate and green beer :-) The vignettes are very expensive compared to the ones in the neighbour countries!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Maribor

Have you been to Maribor?

Latest Activity in Maribor