"Mannheim - a nice place to live in" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by christine.j

Mannheim Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 455 photos

Winter in Mannheim 2012

While January was quite warm, February has turned out to be freezing. Minus 16 in the morning makes the minus 8 in the afternoon feel comfortably warm.

The storks in the park decided not to fly south last autumn - I'm not sure if they had bargained for these temperatures. It was the first time I saw storks in snow.

The woods near Mannheim are great for walking.

As far as touristy cities go, Mannheim has always been in the shadow of Heidelberg. It's even difficult to find some Mannheim souvenirs, for those visitors who'd like some. But it's a nice place to live in. I've lived here in the Mannheim area for the last 25 years.There are good shopping opportunities, a large variety of schools to choose from - though this is not of any interests to visitors - and also a lot of nature, more than people think when they are driving through the city.

• Pros:A nice place to live in
  • Cons:Not much to do for tourists
  • In a nutshell:Worth a few hours visit
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I really enjoyed reading about your detective work on the mystery house. In fact I loved reading all your tips - you have such an eye for intriguing details :-) Interesting to contrast the city's ambivilence about memorials with what I observed in Berlin

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Christine, this is such a helpful pageful of tips. Webs, I definitely would steer clear of them...but I love the sculptures on your "mystery house" they are really beautiful!

• wabIV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Hello Christine, I have fond memories of visiting Mannhein for a weekend with my parents when I was 15 years old. I passed through Mannhein several times during my visit to Germany last September. Best regards.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Mannheim seems a very interesting city. Thanks for your tips and for your research work on your mystery house. Regards, also for Koala ;)

• EGerard's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Great page. I lived in Viernheim for 6 months, and am about to head back there in a couple months; your page has gotten me homesick (in a good way)!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Superb page of your home city. Mannheim certainly has many interesting tourist attractions. Mannheim Castle, the churches, parks, watertower and Zeughaus Museum look wonderful to visit and explore. ~ho & pang

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM

Congrats on solving the mystery of the wonderful building's facade. Good work. We may have passed thru this place years ago along our way to Heidelberg.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Great updates since February, 2007! Amazing Carl Theodor! Dream to visit Baden-Wuerttemberg again and Mannheim for the first time! Thanks Christine for the virtual tour!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Whilst you are shivering in the splendid snow we've had temps touching 40C!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Oh yes, I remember Karlsstern :-)) The restaurant sounds good, Italian pancakes... ohhh yummm :-))

christine.j Used To Live Here!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Mannheim

Have you been to Mannheim?

Latest Activity in Mannheim