"In the Midst of the Brecon Beacons" Brecon by christine.j

Brecon Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 114 photos

Brecon/ Aberhonddu

After I had decided I wanted to spend a few days in the Brecon Beacons I had to decide on where to stay. I knew I'd be going end of September, beginning of October, I knew I wouldn't be driving a car but using buses instead, so I started to look for a place that would be the best base. I found Brecon, booked a hotel there and didn't regret this choice at all. It's a very nice small town, has a good bus service to many other towns around and some hiking trails start there. As it turned put, it was too wet to do any hiking, but I had a wonderful stay there.
The only problem, as always: too much to see and do and not enough time.

If you went to school in Germany...

you may remember the Brecon Beacons from your 6th grade English book. The area was used to introduce the simple past in English.
"We went to the the Brecon Beacons last year"
"Did you like it"
"Yes, I did." And then you had to learn: go - went - gone
do - did - done

Does it ring a bell?

This was the first time I had heard about the Brecon Beacons.

Finally I would to say

One of the very words in Welsh I was able to learn was "Aber" meaning "mouth of a river". Since in Brecon the river Honddu goes into the river Usk, its Welsh name Aberhonddu makes sense to me now.
I had a wonderful time in Brecon/Aberhonddu and all the towns and places I was able to go to from there. This picture I took at the exit of the market in Brecon says it all

• Last visit to Brecon: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2006

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM

When I say I haven't been to Brecon recently, I've nooo idea what tense that is! Nice page and tips!!

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 6:47 AM

I personally can make use of your tips on the hotel and transport services. Though it sounds small and simple in Brecon, it seems it is convenient to move and go around town. Thanks Christine.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Funny that you remember Brecon Beacons from your 6th grade English book! We set the storyline of one of our coursebooks in King's Lynn (because I liked the name) and for years afterwards German tourists would turn up there with our book in hand.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Lovely page Christine, especially all the details in the cathedral. The hotel sounds great too

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Definitely somewhere I hope to see some day. Your tips will be a great help.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Terrific tapestry tale!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Excellent page! Wow, Brecon is 50 years older than Moscow! Nice to know you came back to the 6th grade English book and revised the dialog from there. Thanks Christine for sharing!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 3:05 AM

Lovely well-written page with lots of interesting detail. Thanks for teaching me the meaning of 'Cresset Stone'. The tapestry looks charming. The Welsh people sound very nice - wish I could meet them too.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Lovely pgae, interesting reading, good info. I have never heard Welsh language. Must look for some internet radio in Welsh if there is any :-)

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM

I enjoyed reading your page, Christine. All tips are good and very useful.

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Brecon