"In the Midst of the Brecon Beacons" Brecon by christine.j
Brecon Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 114 photos
After I had decided I wanted to spend a few days in the Brecon Beacons I had to decide on where to stay. I knew I'd be going end of September, beginning of October, I knew I wouldn't be driving a car but using buses instead, so I started to look for a place that would be the best base. I found Brecon, booked a hotel there and didn't regret this choice at all. It's a very nice small town, has a good bus service to many other towns around and some hiking trails start there. As it turned put, it was too wet to do any hiking, but I had a wonderful stay there.
The only problem, as always: too much to see and do and not enough time.
you may remember the Brecon Beacons from your 6th grade English book. The area was used to introduce the simple past in English.
"We went to the the Brecon Beacons last year"
"Did you like it"
"Yes, I did." And then you had to learn: go - went - gone
do - did - done
Does it ring a bell?
This was the first time I had heard about the Brecon Beacons.
One of the very words in Welsh I was able to learn was "Aber" meaning "mouth of a river". Since in Brecon the river Honddu goes into the river Usk, its Welsh name Aberhonddu makes sense to me now.
I had a wonderful time in Brecon/Aberhonddu and all the towns and places I was able to go to from there. This picture I took at the exit of the market in Brecon says it all
To celebrate the 900th anniversary of Brecon a tapestry was woven. It can be seen inside the cathedral. There are nine... more travel advice
I first mistook Brecon Cathedral for a castle. It is surrounded by a wall, to get there you have to walk up a hill and I... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Brecon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The pleasant town of Brecon"
- "In the Midst of the Brecon Beacons"
- "Brecon, A Market town at the heart of the Beacons"
- "BRECON, U.K."
- "Brecon My home town"
- "In the Brecon :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brecon
- Hotels in Brecon
- Transportation in Brecon
- Restaurants in Brecon
- Shopping in Brecon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brecon
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Brecon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brecon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 44 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos