"Just a few Bits about Cambridge" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by christine.j
Cambridge Travel Guide: 822 reviews and 1,739 photos
I've read so many excellent pages about Cambridge here on VT, telling me about the necessities and must-sees in great detail. So what I 'd like to do here on this page is write about a few bits I found interesting.
I was back in Cambridge last October (2013), when all trains had been cancelled due to a major storm and only National Express coaches were able to run. This had cut my visit short and I decided to come back in summer, August 2014.I had a wonderful time.
In January 2011, I only went to Cambridge for a day trip from London, mainly to finally visit the Polar Museum which had been closed for some time.But I hope to go back in autumn for some more days.
2010 was the sixth year in a row that I've gone to Cambridge, three times alltogether that year. In 2005 I got horribly lost and finally had to take a taxi to the train station, in 2006 I did nothing but walk around for a whole day, trying to get a feeling for the lay-out of the city.
In August 2008 I got lost again, but I discovered the almshouses this way, so I'm not angry with myself. Cambridge is a very interesting place, full of surprises.
In 2007 it was the first time I actually stayed IN Cambridge, in 2005 and 2006 I couldn't find anything affordable and "commuted" from Bury St Edmunds instead. The wonderful B&B I found this year was 70 GBP for a double and from my experience in the years before I know this is less than average. It seems to be a lot and I know in the outskirts of Cambridge there are cheaper places. But for what I was looking for - walking distance to the colleges, museums and churches - this proved to be the best and most reasonable. All the other places I checked started around 100 GBP. I even checked with a travel agency here and they offered me a double for 240 Euro, about 160 GBP.
I love to look at the many details you see on the buildings there, not just the main colleges, but also "normal" houses. It pays to look up on the roofs, as even there you can see sculptures. Just be careful not to look up all the time, or you'll get run over by one of the thousands of cyclists.
During my stay in Cambridge in August 2014 I booked the ghost walk. Now it stays light until late in August and the tour... more travel advice
When thinking about what to do in Cambridge this time, I was considering renting a bike and riding to Grantchester. But... more travel advice
- See All Too successful maybe?
- See All A Cambridge Controversy
- Hamlet outdoors
- See All Coming to Cambridge by Car
christine.j's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just a few Bits about Cambridge"
- "City of cycles and Colleges"
- "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Oxford is a complete arse...."
- "Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England"
- "Cambridge student haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 44 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 44 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos