"Just a few Bits about Cambridge" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by christine.j

Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,719 photos

I've read so many excellent pages about Cambridge here on VT, telling me about the necessities and must-sees in great detail. So what I 'd like to do here on this page is write about a few bits I found interesting.

This time, in January 2011, I only went to Cambridge for a day trip from London, mainly to finally visit the Polar Museum which had been closed for some time.But I hope to go back in autumn for some more days.
2010 was the sixth year in a row that I've gone to Cambridge, three times alltogether that year. In 2005 I got horribly lost and finally had to take a taxi to the train station, in 2006 I did nothing but walk around for a whole day, trying to get a feeling for the lay-out of the city.
In August 2008 I got lost again, but I discovered the almshouses this way, so I'm not angry with myself. Cambridge is a very interesting place, full of surprises.

In 2007 it was the first time I actually stayed IN Cambridge, in 2005 and 2006 I couldn't find anything affordable and "commuted" from Bury St Edmunds instead. The wonderful B&B I found this year was 70 GBP for a double and from my experience in the years before I know this is less than average. It seems to be a lot and I know in the outskirts of Cambridge there are cheaper places. But for what I was looking for - walking distance to the colleges, museums and churches - this proved to be the best and most reasonable. All the other places I checked started around 100 GBP. I even checked with a travel agency here and they offered me a double for 240 Euro, about 160 GBP.

I love to look at the many details you see on the buildings there, not just the main colleges, but also "normal" houses. It pays to look up on the roofs, as even there you can see sculptures. Just be careful not to look up all the time, or you'll get run over by one of the thousands of cyclists.

Koala also loved it in Cambridge. He climbed a eucalyptus tree and was quite proud of it. I put some of the pictures in the travelogue.

• Last visit to Cambridge: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2011

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM

WE have not got to here yet-but in the plans in next couple of years. Your tips and pictures are fantastic and informative

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Excellent Cambridge travel pages with fascinating photographs! Lots of wonderful museums in the city especially Zoological, Sedgwick, Fitzwilliam and Folk museums. They certainly attract us a lot. Thanks for sharing with us. ~ho & pang

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Another interesting page with you finding many interesting nooks and crannies, just what I like! The old Church, [beautiful] and punting, I would enjoy that if somebody did the work for me!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM

how did you get with your marathon run!good on you for keeping it up! Thanks for visiting&rating my London pg!many more interesting things I could add Ive found thru the years...but'd have to think so hard to bring them back into mind&into VT tip form!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Hey Christine, danke für die tollen Cambridge-Tipps! Ich werde am Sonntag mal dort sein und "the other place" kennenlernen... Mal sehen, ob es irgendeine Chance gegen Oxford hat! ;)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Oh my, so many great updates since my last visit (2007). I should read more often :-) Haha, yes, I remember that Midsummer Murders episode :-) Will have a look at the lawns in London next time :-) And watch out for church cafes :-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Certainly a very individual page - as VT pages should be. Much enjoyed! Cheers, John.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Christine, I simply loved your pages. Brought smile on my face & rimainded me of very happy years living in Cambridge.Thank you, Valentina

• Feb 19, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Very good page.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Thanks for taking me to Cambridge , beautiful trip !

christine.j Visits Here Frequently!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?

Latest Activity in Cambridge