"I have to go back, there's still so much to see!" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man by christine.j

Isle of Man Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 735 photos

Off the beaten path, at least for Germans

It seemed to me that hardly anybody in Germany had heard of the Isle of Man. When I mentioned I'm planning a trip there, people said :"Oh, it's one of the channel islands." Or they confused it with the Isle of Wight. One exception, though: Motorcycle enthusiasts. They knew all about it, much more than I did. Before I started reading about the Isle of Man, I had never heard of the TT.

From Germany it's easier and faster to get to Ireland than to the Isle of Man, which is actually closer to Germany. I decided to take the ferry, since I was going to be in the Lake District before, but when my husband joined me he had a seven hour layover in Manchester. To get back to Germany in one day, we had to travel to Dublin first and then take a plane to Germany.

But once you're there, you're welcomed in both English and Manx.

I had got good advice on the forum here on VT and I had been forewarned that it would be wet. Well, let me tell you,it was!

It was raining a lot and despite a raincoat and an umbrella I was soaked a few times. Luckily it also stopped in between and the breeze helped to get dry again. I also had a very nice day, with just some light rain, fortunately for me this was when I was running the half-marathon, so I felt really lucky.

I loved the island and I plan to go back and see much more of it.

• Pros:A wonderful atmosphere, not too hot, very diverse
  • Cons:Hard to get to, but maybe that's a pro
  • In a nutshell:Not only for motorcyclists
  • Last visit to Isle of Man: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2008

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

A fantastic page, Christine, I enjoyed reading so much! I don't know much about the Isle of Man, and so I learned a lot from your tips. I didn't imagine that public transport is so good there! And all the book shops... heaven :-) I have to go there one day!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM

such a tiny island and so beautiful

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Lovely interesting page! Would like to go for a ride in the Steam train and on the Horse Tram, and see the gorgeous white washed homes, very nice!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Oh my! What a treat for me to take a little wander around the little Isle that meant so much to me long,long ago. Last visit was 1949. I'll be back to finish the tour.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM

This is a real treat to see the sites and you presented very well, and Castletown is fabulous. You may like to see my trip to Utah and Arizona parks for a different scene of deserts and mountains in US. Bryce and Natural Bridges are the better sites.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Excellent Isle of Man travel page complete with excellent travel tips. The Town Centre, Castle Rushen and Port Erin are our favourites. Jubilee Clock and Salisbury Building certainly look amazing. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM

My memories of Isle of Man are faint I was here in the 70's but still remember the palm trees & the cats with no tails

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Great opening photo. Interesting animal details. The island looks idealic. someone recently wrote to me from this place so I had to learn more about it. thanks!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Hello Christine, thank you for your Isle of Man tips.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I knew it, I knew it - from motorsport, crosswords :-) Have even see a Manx cat here. Yes, those animals are strange. We also have dangerous ducks, always crossing the streets with the ducklings in the worst moment. Great light on your intro photo. Sissi

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Isle of Man

Have you been to Isle of Man?

Latest Activity in Isle of Man