"A good base for the Lake District" Kendal by christine.j

Kendal Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 37 photos

When I planned my trip to the Lake District I found a nice B&B in Kendal and decided to make this town my base. The town is not inside the Lake District National Park, but very close.

It has its own train station, but the trains from London stop in Oxenholm, a few miles away. Oxenholme and Kendal are so close together that they seem to be one city.
Instead of changing trains and walking to the B&B I took a taxi from Oxenholm station and paid £ 6.

Kendal is a very pretty town, very hilly,too. My B&B was up on a hill, so I was getting a lot of exercise. The town centre is very nice. I liked walking along the river Kent.

• Last visit to Kendal: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

So pretty, I just love the Castle Dairy!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM

What a lovely sounding B&B, and a tasty reminder of the delights of Kendall Mint Cake too. And yes, it's quite normal for small town shops in England to close by 5.39 (very inconveniently, I know!)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM

What a beautiful B&B :-) I like the rooms :-) Ah and the Castle Dairy - I read Fairy and this would also fit :-) And this is where the mints came from? I can testify that they provide a lot of energy :-) Thanks :-))))

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I have tasted Kendal Cake which I have bought in many a sport shop & yes I'm not surprised you ate it before you took a photo!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM

A breakfast to last the day!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Kendal