"Look up to see red kites" Llandovery by christine.j

Llandovery Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos

Just in case you think I was visiting a place in the Star Wars series, Llandovery in a small town in Southern Wales. This sculpture looks like a warrior from Star Wars, but he's Llywellyn ap Gruffyd, the last Welsh prince.
He was beaten by the English king Edward I and killed in battle in 13th century. His wife happened to be King Edward's niece, but that didn't stop her uncle from fighting against him.
Today Llandovery is nice, small town, I think about 2000 people live there.

In this area of Wales there are many red kites, so there is a good chance to see some of these birds. I was lucky! There is a farm nearby where the kites can come to be fed, but unfortunately I wasn't able to go there. Something to keep for the next time.

• Last visit to Llandovery: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2006

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I love the way the light plays in your intro pic :~)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 3:30 AM

Sounds like another interesting Welsh town. I like all those small craft shops too. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer of them in Britain nowadays.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Mysterious ruins and landscape. I have never tried Welsh whiskey. Should I ? Cheers!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 1:30 PM

I've wanted to visit Wales someday. Now, I have to decide between North Wales and South Wales! ;) Greetings from an icy Virginia, Mark

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM

This is a place I know so very well - I'm glad you liked it too. leyle

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 5:36 AM

So no Star Wars but great landscapes

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2006 at 9:34 PM

The landscape looks stunning, I love those ruins, where grass took over some space - it gives a magic touch. And hihi, yes, I would have sworn, it is Darth Vader - the knight's spear looks surreal in the sunlight :-))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2006 at 3:32 AM

Fabulous pages ...so will you build any more pages with photos? Your pages really remind me on my explorations in lovely Wales ... Keep up the good work.

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Llandovery

Have you been to Llandovery?

Latest Activity in Llandovery