"A Town in black and white and the best B&B ever" Top 5 Page for this destination Shrewsbury by christine.j

Shrewsbury Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 233 photos

The river Severn makes a loop, forming a sort of peninsula. The historic part of Shrewsbury is inside this loop. There are a few bridges, the two biggest are called the English bridge and the Welsh bridge. From these names you can see that Shrewsbury is very close to the Welsh border.

In the old town there are many! half-timbered houses, in fact, the whole town seems to be black and white.

A City Map of a different Kind

On the market square there is an interesting line on the ground which shows visitors the loop of the river and remarks on Shrewsbury's past as a trading town. I really liked that, some walk-on explanations.

What a B&B!!

Usually a B&B or a hotel is a place to sleep when I return tired from sightseeing. Here in Shrewsbury I cut down on my sightseeing to spend more time in the B&B, the Catherine of Aragon.
I'll try to be very calm and objective when writing about in the "hotel" section on this page.

• Last visit to Shrewsbury: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Interesting reading about Charles Darwin. Darwin, Australia is named after him. What a fantastic b&b, full of history, and the church windows, glad you took a photo of them, beautiful!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM

what a quaint place - great pics - fabulous b7b - and darwin was born here!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Ohh wonderful!! I want to go there, for the B&B and the murder church :-)) Sounds fascinating and also the weather is mysterious and beautiful :-)))

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 8:24 AM

It seems to be a lovely place, and, like most English towns, steeped in history. Your B&B sounds great, why do they rent out only one room?

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 12:52 AM

What an exciting accomodation - fantastic! I passed through Shrewsburg many years ago on the way to Ludlow.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 7:04 AM

Another Cadfael fan - excellent! And the Heart of Wales Railway too - we took it from Llandovery and back again. The b&b sounds just about perfect - does it have one of Shrewsbury's many ghosts? leyle

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The Catherine of Aragon B&B sounds a great experience even if you tried to be calm describing it :-) I didn't know that Darwin was born in Shrewsbury.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 3:06 AM

I have visited Shrewsbury quite a bit on my UK visits, as my inlaws live about 10 miles from there in a little village called Harley...I think that the whole area is gorgeous!!

• Sirspoffalot's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I'm glad you like my town

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM

The window glass picture on yr S.page is just perfect

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Shrewsbury

Have you been to Shrewsbury?