"Watching the blue jewel" Wicken by christine.j

Wicken Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 21 photos

Wicken Fen is a Nature Reserve near Cambridge and Ely.
The National Trust has taken care of it since 1899. Most of this formerly
very wet area with its special plants and birds has been drained during the centuries, in order to provide farmland. In the reserve large meadows, boggy soil and small water ways have been conserved.It is described as a birdwatcher's paradise, so when I read this, I wanted to visit.
And we were lucky: We saw a kingfisher!

To go there from Cambridge without a car proved to be difficult, a combination of train and taxi. To go back we'd have to call another taxi or would have to pre-arrange a pick-up time. Alltogether it was easier to rent a car and drive there.

The Visitor Center is open from 10 am to 5 pm (in winter to 4:30), but for those who are there before, a gate is left open and you can start your walk first and pay later. This is what we did, unfortunately it also meant that we could only get some of the excellent information in the center after our walk.They provide a good map of the walks, also information on the wildlife in the reserve.

Entrance fee is 5 GBP for adults.

• Last visit to Wicken: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Aug 11, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I know I would enjoy here just as much as you did! Would love to see the Woodpeckers!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 1:04 AM

What a wonderful spot for a day trip. Lots of nature to enjoy.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 9:24 AM

How lovely to see a kingfisher :) This is such an evocative page, conveying so well the delights of the English countryside - thank you

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2007 at 3:44 AM

A great rendezvous with nature, wish I could see a kingfisher somewhere. And I do like spiders, they are supposed to bring good luck.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM

A wonderfully warm weekend with a walk in the woods at Wicken Fen?

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2007 at 8:34 AM

All the wonders of nature here - you were lucky to see the kingfisher I imagine siilence would be the rule here

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 4:39 AM

This is a part of the country that I would love to revisit. Is that a windmill that I see in one of your photos ? Norfolk and Suffolk are so dramatic with the big skies and flat fens. Hope to read more on this area soon :))

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Wonderful !! Oh my, you really have been lucky with the weather !!! Kingfisher - great ! I only know them from TV but would also like to see one in nature :-) Haha, thanks for the spider tip, I won't call them friends of mine :-)

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Wicken