"Watching the blue jewel" Wicken by christine.j
Wicken Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 21 photos
Wicken Fen is a Nature Reserve near Cambridge and Ely.
The National Trust has taken care of it since 1899. Most of this formerly
very wet area with its special plants and birds has been drained during the centuries, in order to provide farmland. In the reserve large meadows, boggy soil and small water ways have been conserved.It is described as a birdwatcher's paradise, so when I read this, I wanted to visit.
And we were lucky: We saw a kingfisher!
To go there from Cambridge without a car proved to be difficult, a combination of train and taxi. To go back we'd have to call another taxi or would have to pre-arrange a pick-up time. Alltogether it was easier to rent a car and drive there.
The Visitor Center is open from 10 am to 5 pm (in winter to 4:30), but for those who are there before, a gate is left open and you can start your walk first and pay later. This is what we did, unfortunately it also meant that we could only get some of the excellent information in the center after our walk.They provide a good map of the walks, also information on the wildlife in the reserve.
Entrance fee is 5 GBP for adults.
The reserve is not only the home of many rare birds, but also of plants typical for the fens. Some explanations are... more travel advice
Nature doesn't differentiate. For us a kingfisher is much more beautiful than a hornet, and I much prefer seeing a... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Wicken Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wicken
- Transportation in Wicken
- Restaurants in Wicken
- Warnings and Dangers in Wicken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wicken
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Wicken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wicken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 41 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 46 reviews, 53 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos