"Bressanone:A nice,old town in a beautiful area" Top 5 Page for this destination Bressanone by christine.j
Bressanone Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 92 photos
Bressanone (Italian) or Brixen (German) is situated in a beautiful valley in the Italian alps. It's a bilingual town, all street signs are in Italian and German and all people speak both languages.In fact, they actually speak three languages, as among themselves they use their local dialect, when dealing with German tourists they switch to standard German and dealing with Italian tourists they speak Italian. All this is done with complete ease. I've even heard small children switching languages matter-of-factly , really amazing.
But it's only people who are bilingual. I was walking down one of the small alleys when an old lady next to me surprised me with some loud Italian phrases. There was nobody else around, so I assumed she was talking to me and I was going to tell her that I hadn't understood. She smiled at me and said she had been talking to her dog. He didn't understand German, she said. Her dog, a German Shepard, looked at us as if he was saying:"What else do you expect me to learn?"
The picture was taken on one of my hikes. You can see the town in the valley. Since I was there late September, early October, the leaves were changing colour, really beautiful.
- Pros:Hiking, history and good food
- Cons:If you don't like hiking, it can be boring
- In a nutshell:It deserves to be better known
For exploring Bressanone/Brixen it's best to walk. The old part is off-limits to cars anyway. Many alleys are really... more travel advice
While I was walking near the river, I noticed these signs, warning people of sudden waves.As the signs were up on the... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Bressanone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bressanone:A nice,old town in a beautiful area"
- "Bressanone / Brixen - ancient alpine beauty"
- "Brixen (Bressanone), Tirol's former Bishop's seat"
- "Beautiful Sud Tirol -- Our new favorite place"
- "Beautiful mountains..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bressanone
- Hotels in Bressanone
- Transportation in Bressanone
- Restaurants in Bressanone
- Shopping in Bressanone
- Warnings and Dangers in Bressanone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bressanone
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Bressanone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bressanone
Photos in BressanoneSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 41 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 54 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos