"Hidden Beauty" Weimar by christine.j
Weimar Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 504 photos
This was my second visit to Weimar. The first one was during a tour through Thuringia, shortly after the borders were open, but before the reunification. Back then, we really didn't have enough time for Weimar, so now I wanted to do it justice.
What left the biggest impression in my mind during this past trip was, when we lost our way and accidentally went back to West Germany. A few weeks earlier people would have been shot at this very spot.
This time in Weimar,I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe I had expected too much, after hearing so many people rave about it, maybe it was simply that I had come from near-by Erfurt, which is an absolutely beautiful town. The main tourist sights didn't live up to their reputation in my mind. But we found some off-the-beaten-path beauty, which has made me plan another trip there.
So on this page I'll skip Goethe's house, the theatre and the castle and try to show you something of Weimar's hidden beauty.
I had to sneak them in somewhere, Goethe and Schiller, even though I said I'd concentrate on lesser known things in Weimar. But somehow they are part of this town.
If you're a dedicated pils drinker who says dark beer is no beer at all,drink a glass and pretend it's an unknown, mysterious drink. It's really good!
After we had been to the Russian church, we thought we'd have a short look at some of the graves, before we go back to... more travel advice
Further down the main path in the cemetery you come to the Fürstengruft. When you walk around the Fürstengruft - see my... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Weimar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Weimar, the city of Goethe, Schiller and Wieland"
- "A Capital of Culture"
- "Weimar - Goethe and Schiller at every corner"
- "One of the Most Walkable Cities in Europe"
- "Hidden Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weimar
- Hotels in Weimar
- Transportation in Weimar
- Nightlife in Weimar
- Restaurants in Weimar
- Shopping in Weimar
- Warnings and Dangers in Weimar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weimar
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Weimar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weimar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 41 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 54 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos