"Hidden Beauty" Weimar by christine.j

Weimar Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 504 photos

This was my second visit to Weimar. The first one was during a tour through Thuringia, shortly after the borders were open, but before the reunification. Back then, we really didn't have enough time for Weimar, so now I wanted to do it justice.
What left the biggest impression in my mind during this past trip was, when we lost our way and accidentally went back to West Germany. A few weeks earlier people would have been shot at this very spot.

This time in Weimar,I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe I had expected too much, after hearing so many people rave about it, maybe it was simply that I had come from near-by Erfurt, which is an absolutely beautiful town. The main tourist sights didn't live up to their reputation in my mind. But we found some off-the-beaten-path beauty, which has made me plan another trip there.

So on this page I'll skip Goethe's house, the theatre and the castle and try to show you something of Weimar's hidden beauty.

I had to sneak them in somewhere, Goethe and Schiller, even though I said I'd concentrate on lesser known things in Weimar. But somehow they are part of this town.

If you're a dedicated pils drinker who says dark beer is no beer at all,drink a glass and pretend it's an unknown, mysterious drink. It's really good!

• Last visit to Weimar: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Thanks for a lovely virtual tour around Weimar!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Great tips, thanks! Ich möchte eigentlich diese Stadt noch näher kennen lernen! Viel Glück weiterhin!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 4:14 AM

Excellent off the beaten path tips! I´d love to see the Russian church. Am considering to stop in Weimar for a few hours this week.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I must say: You have a lot of beer on your pages ;-)) Although you probably rightfully complain about the coffin entry fee I would be happy if any entry fee in NZ was that low! But good to read that I did not miss anything by not visiting Weimar :-) Sissi

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM

So far I've only passed through Weimar by train, I guess I should make a stop one day.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 2:06 PM

an interesting page bringing back great memories ! I obviously missed a lot, like Gänsemännchenbrunnen and Fürstengruft

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I missed Weimar in my many East Germany travels but as you can guess I didn't miss the Kostritzer. ;) Thanks for letting me have a nice virtual peek. I'll have to get there in person one day.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Your cemetery tip is fascinating and the Russian church looks truly beautiful, while the more earthly pleasures of the Gelatteria are very tempting too :)

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 2:42 AM

I feel a visit to the ice cream parlour could be on my list of things to do in Weimar. Followed by another diet when I arrive home.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Good tips as your usual. I like especially the Post Office building, Russian church and cemetery.

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Weimar