"Cluny: Horses,History ,Food and Wine" Cluny by christine.j

Cluny Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 78 photos

Cluny today is a small town in the Bourgogne, with all the good food and good wines this area in France is famous for. But for almost 500 years the largest christian church was standing there,the Cluny Abbey.
You can still see parts of it.

Apart from all this I like to stay in Cluny when I'm visiting nearby Taizé, as I prefer a hotel bed to the bunk bed or the tents in Taizé. Probably a sign of old age approaching very fast.

In July 2008 I went back to Cluny for my third visit. I just like it as much as ever. There is a wonderful mixture of relaxed French countryside and services for tourists.

I know I will be back.

Spring is coming

During the first days of our stay in Cluny in March 2006 it was raining, on the last day it was snowing heavily.So I took a picture of the flower stall on the street which gave us hope that spring was indeed coming.

• Pros:A beautiful small town in France
  • Cons:Parking inside the old part is a nightmare
  • Last visit to Cluny: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM

The old Abbey sounds interesting, and what a good price for the meal, would go there for sure!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 5:58 AM

Isn't it great when you go back somewhere you really like and find it's as good as you remembered? I would love to visit Cluny some time, so important once and now just a small town. leyle

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Thanks for sharing the cute corners of Cluny!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 6:52 AM

Interesting old house, and the caves would be a good place to visit. Interesting page.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 2:21 AM

Lovely little town. The ancient abbey and the oldest house in Cluny look just great. Lucky you to have met the old man.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Cluny looks a lovely, old, little town. Thanks for very good hotel tip. I'd like to visit the caves of Azé, too. I like your story on the oldest house in Cluny!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM

I love monasteries and the towns surrounding them. Cluny looks absolutely beautiful :)) Katherine.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 2:34 PM

MMM, Crémant de Bourgogne and an open fireplace, can it be more romantic. :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Ah Silent Night = how appropriate I have read references to Cluny Abbey in Scottish Churches = very interesting

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 8:32 PM

Cluny is an absolute must see and your page reminds me that I have only visited it once, a long time ago and should visit it again! Thanks for sharing!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Cluny