"Bad Wimpfen - like a page out of the history book" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Wimpfen by christine.j
Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 374 photos
This year, 2010, it's 775 years ago that the Staufer Emperor Frederic II held court in Bad Wimpfen. There are several plays and parades in order of this big event in the history of the town.
Bad Wimpfen takes great pride in its very old history and the actors do a great job.
Bad Wimpfen is a small town with a beautiful medieval center, about 45 minutes from Heidelberg.It's very much off the beaten path. I think it's one of the few medieval towns in Germany where I heard only German spoken in the streets, no tourists at all. However the local dialect sometimes is harder to understand than English.
An exception to this is the time of the Christmas market, when busloads of tourist arrive for the famous market there.
When walking up the hill the main street coming from the train station, look up and you can see this knight guarding the entrance to Bad Wimpfen.
In many guide books about Bad Wimpfen you can still read about the angel museum. The owner of this museum died and the family couldn't keep it open, so the museum doesn't exist any more.
It's a pity, this was a nice, small museum which showed lots about guardian angels in art.
- Pros:Straight out of the history book
- Cons:Steep,cobble stone,can be hard to walk
- In a nutshell:It's worth a short visit
The History Museum of Bad Wimpfen is in the oldest stone building,something they're very proud of. Houses built out of... more travel advice
Another guard tower still standing is the Red Tower. It was used both as the living quarters of the family and as a... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Wimpfen am Berg"
- "THE HISTORICAL OLD TOWN OF BAD WIMPFEN"
- "Bad Wimpfen - like a page out of the history book"
- "BAD WIMPFEN - WONDERFUL FACHWERK BUILDINGS"
- "Bad Wimpfen"
- "Bad Wimpfen - Quaint Timber Houses & a Blue Tower!"
- "Bad Wimpfen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Wimpfen
- Transportation in Bad Wimpfen
- Restaurants in Bad Wimpfen
- Shopping in Bad Wimpfen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Wimpfen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Wimpfen
- 14 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Bad Wimpfen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Wimpfen
- Posted in Travel Île-de-France Forum "Re: Versailles-Parc des Princes -..."
- updated a Bad Wimpfen Travel Page "Bad Wimpfen - like a page out of the history book"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Bad Wimpfen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bad Wimpfen - like a page out of the history book"
- Wrote a Review History Museum in Bad Wimpfen Things to Do
Photos in Bad WimpfenSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 44 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos