"The day I touched the snake" Nationalpark Berchtesgaden by christine.j

This is a wonderful area for hikers and lovers of nature. There are hikes for all levels of difficulty on usually well-marked trails.
We were lucky, as we started our first hike, up the Wimbachklamm to the mountains, on a sunny day after weeks of rain. The information in the National Park house had said there were crossed vipers in the park, but I didn't really expect to see one. I love snakes , but I know you have to be very lucky to see one.
However, we were early and there weren't too many other hikers, when I suddenly saw a viper enjoying the sun. I was so excited! and took lots of pictures. The snake, of course, disappeared into the grass very fast.

My husband was waiting patiently until I had taken the last picture of the last bit of the tail and then we walked on. I was talking excitely about seeing the snake, when my husband shouted:" Watch out.You're stepping on another one." And there was another viper, right in the middle of the trail. This one was pretty angry, quite understandably, as it had been enjoying the first sun in days when I had almost stepped on it. It hissed, but then crawled up a stone. I was taking pictures again and my husband had decided to walk on.(Stranglely enough, he was not as excited as I was).
I knew most probably I would never be so close to a crossed viper, so I just couldn't resist and touched its tail. It was warm,dry and somewhat scratchy, quite different from a snake I had once touched in a zoo.
The poor viper was shocked and quickly disappeared.

Even though I knew crossed vipers are not deadly venomous for adults, I realized touching it was not the most sensible thing to do. But it was the highlight of my stay in the area!
Oh yes, before I forget, apart from vipers there are also some beautiful mountains and lakes in the National Park.

• Last visit to Nationalpark Berchtesgaden: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2006

• Jun 14, 2011 at 1:34 AM

definitely an awesome place for hiking. glad the snake didnt scare you, here in australia, its just another day in the park with a snake! lol

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Hoping to visit Berchtesgaden in September, looks like a wonderful park. ;-)

• Aug 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I saw 3 snakes on August 6,2009 in Konigsee lake. This destroy my whole imagination about this beautifull lake. Anyone saw snakes in Konigsee?

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Nice picture from atop the Jenner!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Wow, this is a beautiful place!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Gosh, I'll have to take you walking in Oz if you want to see some snakes! I can see why lostsooner55 hasn't been downunder yet. Cheers, only a couple of weeks to go.

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Glad you enjoyed the snake. If I would have seen it, I probably would of stopped running somewhere near Hamburg, and then, tried to take a boat. Have you been to the zoo in Frankfurt? I know they used to have one whole building that was devoted to snakes.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 1:26 AM

One of my favourite places to visit in Germany.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 3:16 AM

Germany has so many beautiful places and this is certainly one of them. The mountains are stunning :))

• Britannia2's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Our favourite part of Germany - wonderful pages.

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Nationalpark Berchtesgaden

Have you been to Nationalpark Berchtesgaden?

Latest Activity in Nationalpark Berchtesgaden