"Bergstrasse - Mountain Road - Old Roman Road" Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald by christine.j

Update January 2010:
I just added one tip about Darmstadt and another one about a good cafè there.

The stretch of land between roughly Darmstadt in the North and Heidelberg in the South is called Bergstrasse, not to be confused with the administrative district of the same name, which is only part of this area.
About 2000 years ago the Romans started building one of the roads there and up to this day Roman artefacts can still be found.
Travelling up towards Darmstadt you can see several castles on the top of the mountains, overlooking the wide plain beneath them.
I'm going to work constantly on this page, as I want to add information about some of the small towns there.

Since I'm going to write about several towns here on this page, I will start each tip with the name of the respective town, so that it's easier to know which tip belongs to which town.

To write about Darmstadt here is absolutely unnecessary, as there are excellent pages on VT and mine could at best be a weak copy. Have a look at the Darmstadt pages of VT members Trekki
and scottishvisitor
if you want to read more about this interesting city.
Here is just one picture of the beautiful Russian Chapel there with the fountain in front of it.

The same is true for Heidelberg at the other end, there are lots of very good pages on VT. On this page here I'd like to introduce some of the lesser known parts of the Bergstrasse.
Two of the smaller towns have a page of their own,
Ladenburg
and Weinheim
The picture shows the -rebuilt - bridge near Weinheim, called the Roman Bridge, since it was erected at this spot by the Roman soldiers. The very impressive tree next to it is called the "gallow tree". I wasn't able to find any exact information if this was the the place of the gallows, but it seems very likely.

• Last visit to Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2010

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Looks much better now with new VT :-)) Oh and maybe we will go to the Kletterpark in September :-))

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

an interesting page about a part of Germany that I did not explore very well so far !

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for a very interesting page with great tips & photo's ;-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM

I think that would be the only statue of a homeless man in the World! An interesting page, and didn't know about the "spinners", can't say I want to come across them either.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hello, Christine! Thanks for your nice page!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Very interesting (as always). Currently in Italy.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 7:53 AM

I love this page and I'm sure I'd love the place, too - old trees, interesting buildings and statues,etc. As for repentance crosses - we've got some here in Lower Silesia, too and I always wonder what story lies behind each of them.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 3:37 AM

Like very much your photos ...good tips ! I'm a teacher too... now the school begins ... I'll be very busy !

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Nice tips!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 7:11 AM

A superb Schriesheim wine sounds sensational :~)

christine.j Visits Here Frequently!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald

Have you been to Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald?

Photos in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald