"Bergstrasse - Mountain Road - Old Roman Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald by christine.j
Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 153 photos
Update January 2010:
I just added one tip about Darmstadt and another one about a good cafè there.
The stretch of land between roughly Darmstadt in the North and Heidelberg in the South is called Bergstrasse, not to be confused with the administrative district of the same name, which is only part of this area.
About 2000 years ago the Romans started building one of the roads there and up to this day Roman artefacts can still be found.
Travelling up towards Darmstadt you can see several castles on the top of the mountains, overlooking the wide plain beneath them.
I'm going to work constantly on this page, as I want to add information about some of the small towns there.
Since I'm going to write about several towns here on this page, I will start each tip with the name of the respective town, so that it's easier to know which tip belongs to which town.
To write about Darmstadt here is absolutely unnecessary, as there are excellent pages on VT and mine could at best be a weak copy. Have a look at the Darmstadt pages of VT members Trekki
if you want to read more about this interesting city.
Here is just one picture of the beautiful Russian Chapel there with the fountain in front of it.
The same is true for Heidelberg at the other end, there are lots of very good pages on VT. On this page here I'd like to introduce some of the lesser known parts of the Bergstrasse.
Two of the smaller towns have a page of their own,
The picture shows the -rebuilt - bridge near Weinheim, called the Roman Bridge, since it was erected at this spot by the Roman soldiers. The very impressive tree next to it is called the "gallow tree". I wasn't able to find any exact information if this was the the place of the gallows, but it seems very likely.
Darmstadt: I know I had said I wouldn't write any tips about Darmstadt, as there are excellent pages about this city on... more travel advice
One of my favourite walks in Schriesheim is along the small creek, the Kanzelbach. The water is coming down from the... more travel advice
christine.j's Related Pages
Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergstrasse - Mountain Road - Old Roman Road"
- "weekends in the Bergstrasse & Odenwald"
- "Welcome to the Bergstrasse-Odenwald Region"
- "Odenwald: enchanting legends and castles"
- "Bergstrasse-Odenwald Geopark"
- "Odenwald, links"
- "Die Bergstraße"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- Transportation in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- Restaurants in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- Warnings and Dangers in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- 27 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: 2 weeks in Germany"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald travel pages
- updated a Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Travel Page "Bergstrasse - Mountain Road - Old Roman Road"
- Wrote a Review Watch the market going on in Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Museum Künstlerkolonie"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 41 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 46 reviews, 53 photos
- Usedom Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naturpark Bergstrasse-Odenwald Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 29 reviews, 42 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Weinheim Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos