"Zittau deserves to be better known" Zittau by christine.j

Zittau Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 199 photos

Zittau is a small town in the South-Eastern corner of Germany, only a short drive from both the Czech Republic and Poland. There are some beautifully restored old houses, but the biggest attraction are the two lenten cloths,
the big one from 1472 and the small one from 1573.

Still, even with these unique attractions, we didn't see any other tourists in the town, and we happened to be there on a busy weekend when Zittau was celebrating a musical festival, with lots of different music bands.

A pity really, we enjoyed our stay very much. Zittau deserves to be better known. On the other hand we could admire the lenten cloths as long as wanted, without any tour group asking us to move.

• Last visit to Zittau: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM

A very interesting page.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I don't know quite what led me to this page, but I'm certainly glad I found it. I think I would like this town especially the Lenten Cloths which I agree would be a feast rather than a fast. That brewery restaurant sounds great as well. I made it to Erfurt against all odds, so why not Zittau some time? Thanks for another enlightening page, Christine.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

This may be one of the towns we plan to visit next spring. Thank you so much for the great pictures and the clock is wonderful. We may get as close to you as Weimar-but still counting the time and days to stay.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM

What a shame you couldn't enjoy the Dornspachhaus like we did but I'm glad that you had a great time otherwise :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Like Joan & Ingrid I have never heard of Lenten Cloths, and am pleased to know about them now :-) The beer sounds lovely too - any destination that combines interesting history and good beer is worth seeking out!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 8:30 AM

I had never heard of Lenten Cloths either until today nor the democracy pillars - all very interesting Nice to find the floral clock :) I do like to come across them!!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 4:56 AM

What's the blooming time in Zittau?

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM

I never heard of lenten cloths before, so VT is once more daily learning :-)) The flower clock looks so nice and I think, I've seen one as well (but can't remember where). Oh and we must send Richie & Doreen here, they would love the beer :-)

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Zittau