"First time to Black Africa" Mali by chrisvandenbroucke
Mali Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 2,873 photos
The Dogon people live by themselves, yet for hundreds of years.
They refuse to have electricity, running water or roads and keep to their old customs and traditions
You can't go there without a guide. First, you'll get lost
Second, you won't find anything to sleep or eat
And last but least, you won't learn anything about their culture
Djenne is (together with Dogon and Timbouctou) Unesco World Cultural Heritage.
It has a mosque with a very large mud-brick structure which may not be entered by non-muslims.
The wooden sticks you see in the picture are stuck there to climb up and repair the mud after the floods in the wet season.
One thing is for sure.
All your senses will work in the Mali markets. Two eyes aren't enough to see eveything, the smell of dried fish is terrible and the talking and laughing of these poor people is unforgettable
- Pros:Wonderful Dogon, African mentality
- Cons:Harrassing people, no old culture
- In a nutshell:Dogon Country is a must
chrisvandenbroucke's Related Pages
Mali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "African highlight"
- "MALI: AN AMAZING COUNTRY"
- "Difficult, Wearying but Rewarding"
- "MALI - I left my heart there......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mali
- Hotels in Mali
- Transportation in Mali
- Nightlife in Mali
- Restaurants in Mali
- Shopping in Mali
- Warnings and Dangers in Mali
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mali
- 89 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Mali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mali
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 41 reviews, 42 photos
- Thailand Intro, 40 reviews, 35 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Region de Mopti Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Bandiagara Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Marrakesh 27 reviews, 27 photos
- Djenne Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 27 reviews, 25 photos
- Bago 28 reviews, 24 photos
No friends yet.
Top Mali hotels
- Bamako Hotels
- 99 Reviews - 162 Photos
- Bandiagara Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 122 Photos
- Timbuktu Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 399 Photos
- Selingue Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Segou Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 75 Photos
- Mopti Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Kita Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Kidal Hotels
- 1 Review
- Faladie Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Lac Faguibine Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Djenne Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 210 Photos