"Starting point of Dogon Trip" Bandiagara by chrisvandenbroucke

Bandiagara Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 122 photos

Four days trek

From Mopti we rode with a 4x4 to Bandiagara on a sandy road.
Bandiagara is two hours (75 km) away from Mopti
We changed cars and a big Peugeot brought us to our first Dogon village: Dziguibombo
We had a good guide, called Dogon, and he explained us a lot about the local customs

Chef de village

Normally, visitors should give cola-nuts to the chef de village. We had bought them in Mopti (8000 CFA/1 kilo) and handed them.
The nuts gives the local people energy (they say) but when they chew enough of them, the nuts work like drugs

Food in Dogon country

During our 4day trek, there's wasn't much variation.
We either had chicken for diner and spaghetti for lunch or the other way around.
For breakfast we had bread, tea of coffee and some kind of fried flourballs. Not bad

• Last visit to Bandiagara: Nov 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2004

• McCoq's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Good work with the Dogon Country tips. I really loved Benigmato's views...the sahel, the falaise, sun, rocks...amazing. If u can, next time u return to Dogon country visit Ibi and Neni (if u havn't already done), i find these towns are worth to visit;)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2004 at 1:57 PM

Great account of the Dogon country. I hate those dang Togunas--I hit my head more than once.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 8:13 AM

I absolutely loved my trek in Dogon country although it was very tough due to the heat. Great pics.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 3:44 PM

This looks like a great trek, Chris. De Dogon is fantastisch, Ik heb er helaas maar 1 dag rondgewandeld

chrisvandenbroucke

“The world is my second home”

Badges & Stats in Bandiagara

Have you been to Bandiagara?

Latest Activity in Bandiagara