"Popular with skiers and climbers" Top 5 Page for this destination Aviemore by carlrea
Aviemore Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 77 photos
To be honest Aviemore was very much a last minute destination for us as we had travelled to Nairn and found it not quite to our taste we opted to go to Aviemore at the last minute and we wished we had stayed for longer as the place is so beautiful although very small.
The only fault we found is that the campsite was a bit rocky and we found difficulty pegging out the tent but in the end we managed it and decided to explore the town.
Unfortunately it was getting dark as i would like to have taken a trip up Cairn Gorm - but never mind there is always next time.
The Cairngorm area is the ideal place for outdoor activities. Apart from the mountains themselves, there's also the Glenmore Forest Park to explore, watersports on Loch Morlich and Loch Insh, plus fishing, skiing, cycling and golf.
The Cairngorm mountain range stretches for 50 miles with almost 50 peaks over 3000 feet and several others rising over 4000 feet high. The Cairngorm plateau is a vast featureless stoney desert which is a unique example in this country of a sub-arctic ecosystem (not the place to get lost on a misty day).
Three of Scotland's best hill passes go through here leading to semi-permanent snow fields which can persist into the summer months, remnants of the ancient natural Caledonian Forest and features carved out by the last Ice Age.
The Gaelic name for the Cairngorms is Am Monadh Ruadh (the Red Hills) due to the pink granite on the plateau. However the name Cairn Gorm means Blue Mountain as the peak apparently looks blue from a distance. Cairn Gorm itself is 1245 metres high (4084 feet) and can be easily visited on a fine day in summer.
We went here to grab a bite to eat.
Although not the best meal i have had it was pretty good and it was also very good value for money.
The winking own is traditional sort of pub with no aires or graces and your locals seemed to congregate in here for a beer or a malt so it couldn't have been that bad!
- Pros:Beauty, Cairn Gorm, Clean
- Cons:Too close to the A9, Hilton ugly, ugly, ugly
- In a nutshell:come for more than a day!
carlrea's Related Pages
Aviemore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairngorms National Park - Outdoor Sports"
- "A base to see things from"
- "Something new, different"
- "Wee Aviemore"
- "Popular with skiers and climbers"
- "Aviemore in January."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aviemore
- Hotels in Aviemore
- Transportation in Aviemore
- Restaurants in Aviemore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aviemore
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Aviemore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aviemore
Photos in AviemoreSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Bergen Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Austin Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Royton Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cheshire Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Isle of Skye Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos