"Oldham, My home" Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham by carlrea

Oldham Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 290 photos

More than just meat pie and sausage rolls

Oldham hmmmmm!!! not exactly the most exotic location and to be honest does not exactly attract torists by the bucketload but Oldham and especially the surrounding areas of Saddleworth has so much old world charm that can easily be overlooked by a visitor just passing through.
You can be in Oldham town centre one minute and just a 15 minute drive later your in the middle of nowhere over looking rolling countryside and great rugged landscapes.
Absolutely great for walkers and outdoorsy types who can then relax in one of the many country pubs in front of a roaring fire with a pint and a pie if that takes your fancy.
Drop in sometime you might be surprised!!!!

A street like no other!!!!

In all my travels across the United Kingdom i always like to sample what the local nightlife is like and treat myself to a beverage or two! but i have to say when i moved here over 7 years ago i have still to find a street like Yorkshire St in Oldham.
There must be 20 bars within a space of 100 yards and on any typical Friday or Saturday night is absolutely bonkers!! from the ultra trendy Budda Bar and Vogue to more traditional pubs like The Old Mess House (if you go in you will know why it is called this) Sometimes it amazes me how a town like Oldham breeds such good looking girls and if your female some decent blokes as well if you like the rugged type - very rugged

Oldham - The people

Oldham has an abundance of characters and a walk around the town centre on a typical day you might think that we all have webbed feet or three eyes oh aye there is some funny types! but apart from that Oldham has the friendliest people i have met and i really mean that. People who will go out of there way for you - typical Northern hospitality.

Oh by the way the picture is from my favorite comedy Phoenix Nights which is based in a suposedly typical northern working mens club it is the funniest thing you will ever see in your life.
visit www.peterkay.net

• Pros:friendly people, great countryside, fantastic nightlife
  • Cons:nightlife crowd are a bit young oh and Oldham Athletic FC are not very good
  • In a nutshell:we're not all weirdo's y'know, well ok only some of us!
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2005

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Amusing page. Love the cover photo.

• Feb 18, 2007 at 4:50 AM

Romanos restaurant is a complete con. The pizzas are OBVIOUSLY bought from ASDA and the only redeeming factor about this place is the staff. A very dissapointed customer.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2006 at 9:25 AM

you mean I missed all this when I go to Old Ham for business I usually stay in Holmfirth near the village of Upperthong & Netherthong!!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 4:03 PM

'More than just meat pie and sausage rolls' - haha LOVE that! Tommyfield market sounds like my kinda place. Thx for an interesting read Carl! Jen x

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2005 at 1:49 PM

Loved your restaurant pages Carl. A man after my own heart. Well done. Pa

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 6:59 PM

eey oop, me ferret ez got stook in me blook puddin' great page on northern bliss

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 6:51 PM

Interesting hometown you live in. Looks like a great place to visit. So funny, here in the US, we say Southern hospitality, and in the UK, it is just the opposite! ;-) ~Elaine~

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 7:02 PM

You'd think with all the good looking girls Oldham breeds, you'd be able to find one thats not alien like!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 1:24 PM

I will definitely pop in to Oldham when over there. Great page thank you.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 7:07 AM

Haha Carl ,this is a fun page ,Oldham looks like a nice town ,lots of pubs and retaurants with 12 -24 ounces steaks , and they have Quail as well (never had Quail) I think I will go for a juice steak as well Carl.Nice job on your hometown page .

carlrea Used To Live Here!

carlrea

“Never fear the unknown or you'll never know.”

Badges & Stats in Oldham