"St Ives, Cornwall" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives by carlrea
Saint Ives Travel Guide: 172 reviews and 399 photos
I went to St Ives in 2003 with a large group of friends and we stayed at the St Ives Holiday Village which is owned and run by John Fowler Holidays.
The park consists mostly of chalet's
that you can rent for a week or two and i have to say is very reasonable
St Ives is a tiny fishing village that is situated in south Cornwall and is not too far from Lands End (also well worth a visit) the centre is awash with tiny fisherman's cottages and narrow streets that you can just get a car down.
It also has plenty of quaint little shops that sell gift's and crafts but most popular is the many bakeries that sell 'Traditional' or 'Cornish' pasties which come in many flavours.
The 'Cornish' pasty differs from other pasties in that it has a dry crust around the outside and this is for a reason.
When the Cornish tin miners used to go down the pit they would take with them a 'Cornish' pastie for their lunch and because they used to get so dirty they would just hold the dry outside crust part so as not to get the rest dirty and they would then eat the filling and just throw away the crust when they had finished.
St Ives is renowned for it's excellent restaraunts and especially it's fish restaraunts, if you like your fish fresh it really doesn't come much better than this and you are simply spoilt for choice.
St Ives is not without its nightlife but those expecting a scene typical of a big city will be dissapointed but the upside is this does away with the drunken kids who are seeking a wild night tend to go elswhere. St Ives has many Pubs on the harbour front such as the Sloop Inn (pictured) which dates back to as early as 1312 and is an excellent starter to a night out and also does excellent food - just watch your head when you walk in.
- Pros:Quaint, Unspoilt, Great food,
- Cons:If wild nights are your thing go to Newquay instead
- In a nutshell:Full of charm old world village
Went in here after being told it was the only place to get a late drink in St Ives / Nightclub. Now i have to say i am... more travel advice
When we stayed at St Ives holiday village which is operated by John Fowler holidays i was pleasantly surprised at the... more travel advice
carlrea's Related Pages
Saint Ives Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porth Ia"
- "St. Ives"
- "St Ives, Cornwall"
- "Wonderful scenery and great food!"
- "BEAUTIFUL St. IVES"
- "St. Ives in the Cornish Riviera"
- "Birthday Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Ives
- Hotels in Saint Ives
- Transportation in Saint Ives
- Nightlife in Saint Ives
- Restaurants in Saint Ives
- Shopping in Saint Ives
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Ives
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Ives
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Saint Ives?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Ives
Photos in Saint IvesSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Austin Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Royton Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cheshire Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Isle of Skye Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos