"Chichen Itza" Ruinas Chichén-Itzá by clairegeordio

Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,252 photos

Our 1 day trip

We visited Chichen Itza on a tour, booked through our travel rep at our hotel, a good and a bad thing. The good thing was everything was arranged for you, you get a guide telling you all the history, nice air conditioned coach there and back with a film on the way back (3½ hour journey each way), the bad thing was not enough time on our own afterwards to explore, so we felt a bit rushed, but none the less Chichen Itza was truly a wonderful place to visit.

The site of Chichen Itza is 179km (112 miles) West of Cancun and 120km (75 miles) east of Merida. Between 800 and 1200 AD Chichen Itza was in it's time of grandeur, being the centre of religious, military and political power in the Yucatan peninsula.
The site occupies 6.5 square km. Chichen Itza is the most famous of the Mayan pyramids in the area and the central pyramid El Castillo is 79 feet (24m high) and can be climbed on two out of the four sides. Originally each side had 91 steps, altogether meaning 365 steps, one of every day of the year. There are 52 panels on each side, representing the 52 year cycle. I did pluck up the courage to climb the pyramid but had to come down very slowly on all fours as standing up the drop down was so vertical!! The views from the top were amazing but I was glad when I came back down!

For other places that I have visited in Mexico, please look at my Playa Del Carmen page

• Last visit to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2006

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Hi Claire. Great Chichen-Itza page. I visited the ruins in 1998 and still remember very clear climbing down the pyramid...

• albaaust's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 4:28 AM

Thanks for visitng my page -Chichen-Itza looks interesting.Maybe we go to Mexico at the end of the year!!

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 2:33 AM

Great memories came back reading your Cichen-Itza page - Thanks

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2006 at 9:51 PM

Wow! That is the kind of places I like to visit! Great page! P.S. Claire, Happy Birthday!!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 3:43 AM

That pyramid looks amazing. I would love to climb it - hope that's still allowed. I'm planning to travel through Mexico and Central America next year, Chichén-Itzá will definitely be on my itinerary.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 6:30 AM

great page!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 12:20 PM

I can imagine how hot the site must have been in August! Good on you for climbing to the top of the Castillo, and I don't blame you for a cautious descent! I remember that steep view from above myself & made an uncharacteristically careful descent myself!

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 12:40 PM

Lovely page. I can't quite imagine coming down the pyramid on all fours though, that sounds even harder than just walking down.

clairegeordio

“Don't ever let life pass you by!”

Badges & Stats in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

Have you been to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá?

Latest Activity in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá