"Avebury and surrounding area" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury by clairegeordio
Avebury Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 244 photos
Situated approximately twenty miles north of Stonehenge, Avebury is a picturesque little village with a difference. This village, which dates back to the seventeenth Century, is located in the centre of one of the largest stone circles in the UK and is one of the 14 British World Heritage sites. If you have visited Stonehenge and were impressed, then you will certainly be impressed with Avebury as you can walk amongst the stones (and the sheep and cows!) and Avebury is actually a bigger stone circle than Stonehenge.
I have now visited Avebury twice, once last year and the second time in July 2004 and actually stayed in the old pub in Avebury, The Red Lion, which is the only pub to be located within a stone circle.
At the end of the 1970’s, Avebury was already attracting a quarter of a million tourists, a figure, which has significantly increased by now.
Avebury covers around 28 acres. It consists of a huge circular ditch and a bank of about a quarter of a mile in diameter (this is the henge), enclosing an outer circle of stones. There are two inner circles within the outer circle.
There are also other attractions to view that make up the Avebury complex such as West Kennett Longbarrow and Silbury Hill - please see my must see activities for information about these places
About a mile north of Avebury lies Silbury Hill, the largest megalithic construction in Europe – it is the tallest... more travel advice
There are approximately 200 longbarrows in Great Britain. They were generally built as communal graves. West Kennet... more travel advice
clairegeordio's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 9 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 48 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 44 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 83 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buckinghamshire Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos