"Avebury and surrounding area" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury by clairegeordio

Avebury Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 244 photos

Situated approximately twenty miles north of Stonehenge, Avebury is a picturesque little village with a difference. This village, which dates back to the seventeenth Century, is located in the centre of one of the largest stone circles in the UK and is one of the 14 British World Heritage sites. If you have visited Stonehenge and were impressed, then you will certainly be impressed with Avebury as you can walk amongst the stones (and the sheep and cows!) and Avebury is actually a bigger stone circle than Stonehenge.

I have now visited Avebury twice, once last year and the second time in July 2004 and actually stayed in the old pub in Avebury, The Red Lion, which is the only pub to be located within a stone circle.

At the end of the 1970’s, Avebury was already attracting a quarter of a million tourists, a figure, which has significantly increased by now.
Avebury covers around 28 acres. It consists of a huge circular ditch and a bank of about a quarter of a mile in diameter (this is the henge), enclosing an outer circle of stones. There are two inner circles within the outer circle.

There are also other attractions to view that make up the Avebury complex such as West Kennett Longbarrow and Silbury Hill - please see my must see activities for information about these places

• Last visit to Avebury: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2004

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM

I wish we'd had the chance to see the West kennet Long Barrow close up, but wanted to reach Avebury before the light went!

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I loved Avebury so much more than Stonehenge! So beautiful, and away from the hoards of tourists! P.s. I wish I had read your tips before visiting - I missed a lot!

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Great pages on Avebury. We are visiting in September from Australia. I have added a few more places to see from your tips. Thanks.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Quality tips, thanks for sharing

• Oct 9, 2007 at 2:30 AM

i was there too, realy very nice

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 3:45 AM

Fascinating place. I wonder what it was like staying inside the Stone Circle. The curfew must have been imposed not to disturb the ghosts.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 7:47 PM

So, the stones we are looking at are not the actual stones but replicas? You mentioned that the actual stones were transported. These are fake?

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2006 at 12:56 AM

Great information on this amazing little village within its even more amazing circle of stones! I wish that I had been able to spend more time exploring there like you did!!

• Oct 10, 2005 at 12:44 AM

Claire my friend , happy birthday to you .Hope you will have a nice time. Greetings from India.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 3:22 AM

Loved your Avebury page! Got to love the name of your village too! Happy travels, Blu

clairegeordio

“Don't ever let life pass you by!”

Badges & Stats in Avebury

Have you been to Avebury?

Latest Activity in Avebury