"The beautiful city of Edinburgh" Edinburgh by clairegeordio
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,459 reviews and 6,998 photos
Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland, situated on the east coast on the South shore of the Firth of Forth and is a vibrant city with so much to see including Edinburgh castle, the Royal Mile with all of the architecture to view along it, Holyrood Palace, and Arthur's seat, an extinct volcano.
The architecture was definitely something that caught my eye - there are Greek type monuments on top of Calton Hill contrasted with 16th Century houses and tenements along the Royal Mile, in the Old Town. Apparently there are 16,000 buildings in Edinburgh that are listed as architecturally or historically important. After London, Edinburgh is the second most visited city in the UK - I personally prefer Edinburgh to London.
We spent a long weekend here, which was enough time to see the main sights and a bit more.
The most important landmark in Edinburgh is Arthur's seat, the 251m extinct volcano which gives amazing views over Edinburgh. The climb is a must, although you don't necessarily need to reach the top for great views.
The main shopping Street is Princes Street, which divides the New Town from the Old Town and at one end has Calton Hill which again gives lovely views of Edinburgh and the castle which dominates Edinburgh.
Princes Street is Edinburgh's main shopping street. I didn't spend that much time on Princes Street, as it is just a... more travel advice
The Peoples Story is a museum in detailing the history of Edinburgh and it's people. The museum tells us about the... more travel advice
clairegeordio's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- "Opera and Graduation in Edinburgh"
- "The highs and lows of the 7 hills..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 22 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Nice, central hotel with..."
- updated a Edinburgh Travel Page "The beautiful city of Edinburgh"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beautiful city of Edinburgh"
- Wrote a Review Walk along Princes Street about Princes Street in Edinburgh Things to Do
- Commented on one of Kaspian's Edinburgh travel pages
Photos in EdinburghSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 48 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 44 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 83 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buckinghamshire Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos