"The beautiful city of Edinburgh" Edinburgh by clairegeordio

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,459 reviews and 6,998 photos

Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland, situated on the east coast on the South shore of the Firth of Forth and is a vibrant city with so much to see including Edinburgh castle, the Royal Mile with all of the architecture to view along it, Holyrood Palace, and Arthur's seat, an extinct volcano.

The architecture was definitely something that caught my eye - there are Greek type monuments on top of Calton Hill contrasted with 16th Century houses and tenements along the Royal Mile, in the Old Town. Apparently there are 16,000 buildings in Edinburgh that are listed as architecturally or historically important. After London, Edinburgh is the second most visited city in the UK - I personally prefer Edinburgh to London.

We spent a long weekend here, which was enough time to see the main sights and a bit more.

The most important landmark in Edinburgh is Arthur's seat, the 251m extinct volcano which gives amazing views over Edinburgh. The climb is a must, although you don't necessarily need to reach the top for great views.

The main shopping Street is Princes Street, which divides the New Town from the Old Town and at one end has Calton Hill which again gives lovely views of Edinburgh and the castle which dominates Edinburgh.

• Last visit to Edinburgh: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Nice page

• amipia21's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Hi Claire! Beautiful Edinburgh !! I hope to visit Calton Hill. Thanks for your tips... from Korea Harry,choi

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Hi Claire. Excellent tips here! Thanks for sharing! My ratings are definitely with you. I hope to visit Edinburgh next year, and the "Royal McGregor". Not for the haggis, but because my fiance is a "McGregor" :-) Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 2:26 AM

We must have been there at the same time. I didn't have any haggis this time though I love it especially with neeps [swedes] and tatties. Making it is not so enjoyable though. I made a huge one for a Burns Supper in Sudan once. !!!!

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Excellent page. Whenever I go to Edinburgh it always seems to be grey and murky!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Hi Claire, Thanks for visiting my Edinburgh page! Yep, Mary King's close is on the very top of my "to see" list next time I'm in that town. I love a good ghost story and will remember to bring a gift for Annie. You have a nice page yourself! Ed.

• Small_World's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Awww that is so cool that the gun fired on your anniversary! Nice tips on Edinburgh--I can't wait to read more about it...I'm hoping to visit there someday.

clairegeordio

“Don't ever let life pass you by!”

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh