"Waddesdon Manor and Gardens" Waddesdon by clairegeordio
Waddesdon Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 32 photos
Waddesdon Manor is located in the village of Waddesdon, 6 miles North West from Aylesbury, in Buckinghamshire. It was built between 1874 and 1889 in the style of a French château, based on those in the Loire Valley, for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, mainly to display his art treasures. The furniture, carpets and porcelain rank in importance with the Louvre in Paris - the collections are one of the best in the World. The property is now owned by the National Trust.
Waddesdon has one of the finest victorian gardens in Britain, with a rose garden, aviary and fountains.
The photo above is one of my favourites - showing the front of the house as I like the reflection of the statues in the water.
Entry to the Gardens only are £5 for adults, £2.50 for children. If you wish to visit the house, then you need to buy a ticket when you arrive and are given an allocated slot in which you can visit - this costs £7 per adult and £6 per child.
- Pros:Stunning architecture and beautiful gardens - a lovely day out
- Cons:An expensive day out if you are not a member of the National Trust
The Aviary was completed in 1889 and is made of cast iron, in the style of those that can be found at Versailles or... more travel advice
clairegeordio's Related Pages
Waddesdon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waddesdon Manor and Gardens"
- "Waddesdon - par excellence"
- "Waddesdon manor house"
- "Waddensdon Manor House"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waddesdon
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Waddesdon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waddesdon
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 48 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 44 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 83 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buckinghamshire Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos