"Winnipeg...cold, windy, but oh... so comfortable" Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg by mapakettle
Winnipeg Travel Guide: 390 reviews and 536 photos
Winnipeg is many things, to many people. Those of us who live (lived) in the rural areas, found the city to be a refuge from small town life, with shopping galore, great restaurants, and 'good' people.
Roads generally were good, especially in winter months because snow fills the pot holes, and keeps some people home so St. James around Polo Park is not as busy.
I have many choices for eating out, and as I collect addresses, I'll be sure to post them. Unfortunately. I have no pictures of the city, as all our photos are locked away in our storage locker in Canada.
I can and will say that Winnipeg is blessed with wonderful, friendly people. I had the good fortune to visit the city once or twice a month for almost twenty years, always seeing it as a tourist would. I had my favourite hotels, my favourite eateries, and yet I always found new and wonderful places to eat. Most of my good impressions are due to the people that live and work there.
Winnipeg is much like a small town, in the sense that people really do seem to care, and are most helpful. Yet, the city is large enough that you can find 'anything' you may require, and usually at a good price. Winnipeg is a shoppers haven, with discount prices. Many, many factory outlet stores may be found. Food is great (GREAT), with so many places to choose from.
Hotels I usually stayed at, depending upon my needs at the time included ... The Sheraton (downtown), The Best Western Charterhouse (downtown), and the Country Inn Suites (near Polo Park Shopping Centre and the airport). For everyday living and personal comfort, my preference was the Country Inn Suites. The staff was wonderful, and it was just down right comforting to arrive in 30 below weather, and have no hassles upon check-in, plus my choice of free videos and a fresh cup of coffee and a muffin.
Restaurants are abundant in this city. I have many places I often frequented, especially great breakfast eateries that were CHEAP with huge portions, however a car was often required. In a sense, I collected names of these cheap places, actually locations, because I could only find them by trial and error, and my memory is limited. Age...you know how it is.
The streets are relatively easy to figure out, and traffic is generally light enough that navigation was never a problem for me. I found many neat and interesting shops while wandering about, and can get my pants altered in an hour, as well as a great car wash.
If it wasn't for the long cold winters, Ma Kettle and I would have seriously considered Winnipeg as our retirement home. The airport is wonderful, and flights to everywhere are frequent. The Via Rail is handy, as are numerous Grey Hound buses. The TransCanada Highway goes right through the city as well, and the USA is close enough for culture shock for a weekend away.
Maybe global warming will solve this temperature glitch for us...
- Pros:Good people, and lots of good restaurants.
- Cons:traffic doesn't allow time to visit all the restaurants
- In a nutshell:enjoyed every visit, Polo Park is a great Shopping Mecca
LA Fiesta Cafesito & Bakery 166 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C2B6 (204) 783-7755 Page under construction more travel advice
Ducky's is the place to go if you like English Style Fish and Chips, actually, the owners are from the Maritimes, so... more travel advice
mapakettle's Related Pages
Winnipeg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winnipeg in summer is worth a vacation"
- "au coeur du continent"
- "Winnipeg, Winterpeg, The Peg"
- "Winnipeg...cold, windy, but oh... so comfortable"
- "Welcome to Winnipeg"
- "Assiniboine Park in Winter"
- "Guybert's Winnipeg page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winnipeg
- Hotels in Winnipeg
- Transportation in Winnipeg
- Nightlife in Winnipeg
- Restaurants in Winnipeg
- Shopping in Winnipeg
- Warnings and Dangers in Winnipeg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winnipeg
- 11 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Winnipeg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winnipeg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 94 reviews, 179 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 53 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montecchio Maggiore Intro, 12 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucia di Piave Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Calalzo Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carolei Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dachau Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos