"Lefkes...10 kilometres from Parikia (Paros)" Top 5 Page for this destination Lefkas by mapakettle
Lefkas Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 132 photos
Travel to Lefkes, located at the highest point of Paros in the center of the island, can be accomplished by car, scooter, or by bus. Expect a hot, crowded ride by public transport however, as most of the young passangers are heading towards the beaches on the opposite side of the island from Parikia.
The bus travels through very rough, and windblown countryside, rather barren and bleak, winding its way up the 200 metres to reach Lefkes, the highest town on Paros.
This scenic village has a current population of 500 inhabitants, down significantly from the 2500 back in 1926. Modern day life elsewhere has drawn many of the younger folk away, which has allowed Lefkes to remain unspoiled by today's standards.
The town was built in such a way around and up the sides of the mountains, rather like an amphitheatre. It had been the capital of Paros back when pirates ruled the seas, and this afforded the inhabitants the best protection in case of a raid.
Walking the village requires good sturdy shoes, a strong set of thighs, and a pronounced forward tilt to your body. Of course, you must remember to reverse the tilt when you go 'down' the other side of the hill.
We can't say that we found shopping, or even sightseeing particularly stimulating, because there is no actual centre as such, and next to no signage for hapless tourists to navigate with.
It is a pretty, well kept town to wander aimlessly through, but the sights can be toured within a couple of hours.
If you are using public transportation, the visit begins to feel too long and drawn out, and if you have young ones, or even teenagers accompanying you on your trek, expect some complaining within the first hour. This is no place to visit if you are pushing a stroller, or have a physical infirmity. The streets are too steep for comfortable traversing.
- Pros:Very pretty, and in sharp contrast to surrounding countryside
- Cons:Steep inclines to walk, and a bit tame for most travelers.
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit if you have a car, and lots of spare time to kill
This village is unspoiled by tourism, therefore expect little in the way of Tourist type comforts. Prior to departing... more travel advice
Among the beautiful snow-white houses of Lefkes, are the distinguished and beautiful churches of the 15th-17th century,... more travel advice
mapakettle's Related Pages
Lefkas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lefkes...10 kilometres from Parikia (Paros)"
- "Lefkas, the "chora" of Lefkas island"
- "Island of Delightful Contrasts"
- "Lefkas, an island"
- "The island you can go by... car !!"
- "lefkada nidri"
- "Lefkas - the best seas in the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lefkas
- Hotels in Lefkas
- Transportation in Lefkas
- Nightlife in Lefkas
- Restaurants in Lefkas
- Shopping in Lefkas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lefkas
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Lefkas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lefkas
- updated a Lefkas Travel Page "Lefkes...10 kilometres from Parikia (Paros)"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hello good friends..."
- Commented on one of mapakettle's Lefkas travel pages
- Wrote a Review A village NOT jam packed with things to do... in Lefkas Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "A village NOT jam packed with things to do..."
Photos in LefkasSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 94 reviews, 179 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 53 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montecchio Maggiore Intro, 12 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucia di Piave Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Calalzo Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carolei Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dachau Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos