"Limone sul Garda" Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda by mapakettle
Limone sul Garda Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 57 photos
There are some places you read about that get your heart beating faster everytime the name is mentioned, either through hype, misinformation, or snippets seen on the Travel Channel, but somehow they prove to be a major disppointment when you finally visit in person. I'm happy to report, Limone is 'not' one of those destinations.
It is a very charming little town, so picturesque, so pretty, so colourful, even in late fall, and even when seen through mist covered spectacles. I'll admit I'd preferred to have been able to sit and bask in bright sunlight, but hey, I'll take this tiny piece of heaven anyway I can. In fact, just moments before the photo was taken, we were hiding under our umbrellas in a heavy downfall, so things were looking up.
At first glance, Limone reminds me of Cinque Terra. The town appears to grow up the side of the mountain, making the buildings look like a set of childs building blocks stacked haphazardly one on top of the other. It has a magical feel to it, a setting intended for lovers, and comes complete with waves lapping onto the shore for you hard core romantics.
Wander the narrow alleys arm in arm, skip across the cobblestones, smell the freshly brewed espresso, find a cozy little waterfront bar and claim a corner table. Order a glass of vino, or perhaps a Spritz, nibble on the bowl of peanuts, roll the olives about in your mouth, and file that moment away in your box of memories. Life just doesn't get any better.
Limone is known for their lemon orchards, however the groves, called Limonaia, are rather different than you would expect. Cement pillars have been erected against the backdrop of the mountainside, in part to shield the harvest from harsh winds, but also to retain reflected heat from the suns golden rays.
Wooden rafters are suspended from one pillar to another, and a greenhouse of sorts is constructed to provide cover in cooler winter months. Soil was initially imported from the southern end of Lake Garda to help suppliment the poor gravel like soil found naturally at the base of the mountain.
The entire lemon grove is supplied with water by an ingenious irrigation system specifically designed by these crafty Italians.
For your information, and so you won't be misled like I was, the name of the town comes from the Latin word Limen, which means border, but people prefer to think it comes from the fruit of the lemon groves. Lets just keep it our little secret.
Limone is situated at the foot of a mountain, so expect to find stairs like these ones shown in the photo. However, not all of the town is like this. Yes, most streets and walkways are on a grade, but are only a problem when climbing to higher elevation. Great fun coming back down again though.
If you or your companion experience difficulty with your hips or legs, I'd suggest you confirm with your hotel prior to booking, just to assure it is located on level ground, a bit closer to the water's edge. Many hotels in Limone are situated on streets requiring a bit of an uphill hike, so best check.
- Pros:better than a Hollywood set
- Cons:what cons??
- In a nutshell:We loved Limone
back pack would be first preference, as rolling luggage will take a beating on the cobblestones, and the inclines might... more travel advice
Ma Kettle and I are not shoppers, but I love to look, Ma is disinterested. Great pair huh? This little tunnel affair... more travel advice
mapakettle's Related Pages
Limone sul Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Limone sul Garda"
- "Our last stop of the day"
- "Home of the Lemon Trees"
- "Limone Del Garda"
- "Lago di Garda"
- "Limone sul Garda, stop off for the views"
- "Limone sul Garda"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Limone sul Garda
- Hotels in Limone sul Garda
- Transportation in Limone sul Garda
- Restaurants in Limone sul Garda
- Shopping in Limone sul Garda
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Limone sul Garda
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Limone sul Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Limone sul Garda
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hello good friends..."
- Commented on one of Carmela71's Limone sul Garda travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Batteries 'are' hard to find"
- Wrote a Review Batteries 'are' hard to find in Limone sul Garda What to Pack
- updated a Limone sul Garda Travel Page "Limone sul Garda"
Photos in Limone sul GardaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 94 reviews, 179 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 53 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montecchio Maggiore Intro, 12 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucia di Piave Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Calalzo Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carolei Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dachau Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (63)
Latest Limone sul Garda hotel reviews
- Hotel Limonaia
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Le Palme
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hotel All'Azzurro Limone sul Garda
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Hotel Monte Baldo
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Hotel Sole
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hotel Villa Dirce
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Leonardo Da Vinci Hotel
- 208 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Hotel Capo Reamol
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Hotel Panorama
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013