"Trabzon and its Sumela" Trabzon Ili by rjaparidze
Trabzon Ili Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 513 photos
Trabzon was part of my Trabzon-Bauburt-Erzerum-Oltu-Karagol-Ardahan trip. There are not many travellers in these cities (except for maybe Trabzon)... And they are worth of Travel.
Aya Sofia church is a must see if someone is there. It is a nice church on the hill overlooking the sea.
One has to come there before 19.00. We came there after 20.00 and the guards refused entering it. Because of that we altered our plans and did not go to Sumela next day early morning. The Church opens at 10,00 (if I remember correctly)
Except for Aya Sofia Sumela Monastery is a really great place for visit. During the history of my travels I have not seen any place so beautiful as sumela.
Maybe monastery is not as great as I have thought, the nature amply compensates a long uphill travel to this place.
If someone traveles from the East, he should bear in mind that Sumela is before Trabzon. There are a lot of signs indicating how one has to get to that place, neverthless there was no sign on the main road where the road forks into Macka.
One has to be careful and look on the top of the building standing to the left that has some big SUMELA advertisement.
Going up by car to Sumela, in our case b a MIni Van, cost about 8 million TL (about 5-6 USD). There is also another fee of entering the monastery for Turks (and also students) and non-Turks -- 2 million and 5 million respectively.
- Pros:Sumela -- Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful
- Cons:Not many sightseeings besides Sumela and Aya Sofia
- In a nutshell:Still a MUST SEE place because of Sumela
rjaparidze's Related Pages
Trabzon Ili Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Trabzon Ili
- Hotels in Trabzon Ili
- Transportation in Trabzon Ili
- Nightlife in Trabzon Ili
- Restaurants in Trabzon Ili
- Shopping in Trabzon Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Trabzon Ili
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Trabzon Ili
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Trabzon Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trabzon Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mestia Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Borjomi Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Shatili Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Yusufeli Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Ashtarak Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Qax Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Verona 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Saki 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Trabzon Ili Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos