"Svaneti - the most worth to visit place in Georgia" Mestia by rjaparidze

Mestia Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 87 photos

Some History

If one asks me what is the place is in Georgia that has an international significance and that may really stand out from other places in the world I would name it is Svaneti.

I JUST DISCOVERED A GOOD WEBPAGE ON THIS REGION - VISIT IT IN CASE U INTEND TO GO THERE: http://www.svanetitrekking.ge/eng/index.htm

Svaneti is the part of Georgia located in the north-western part of Georgia where there are two roads to go. One from Zugdidi and the other from Kutaisi-Lentekhi. The first one is much much better road to follow…

During the recent years (more specifically after the dissolution of the Soviet Union that was accompanied with the civil war in Georgia) going up to Svaneti was not really considered safe. For some time the corrupt regime of Shevardnadze’s central government failed to control situation there and the region was gaining a reputation of bandits and of a place of kidnappings for money…

However looking into retrospect I would probably admit that laregely this was not true – yes it was a bit unsafe but not as much as it was portrayed . Those kidnappings that were notoriously known even beyond the borders of Georgia ultimately turned out not to be related to Svaneti as many thought including myself…

About three years ago the Government undertook an anticrime operation in the village of Etseri that basically started up the process of gaining the control over this region... Soon the tourism started to grow and slowly but steadily more and more people stated to come here.

• Pros:Fantastic Nature, Fantastic Towers, Fantastic Food
  • Cons:Difficult to get, little knowledge of English, bad infrastructure
  • In a nutshell:Really worth of going there
  • Last visit to Mestia: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2007

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Great tips. I can't wait to visit Svaneti. We are going to visit it in August during our one month trip around Georgia.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I read that you have some of the most beautiful scenery in the mountains, and Mestia is one of those places you want to really enjoy. You did a very good job of taking pictures and making comments.

• Mar 16, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Thank you so much for the photos of Mestia. I have just painted a small icon of St George which is from St George's Church, Mestia and it is so good to be able to see something of the Church and the area it is in.

• aterola's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Thank you for nice page about Swanetia. I have been there 18 years ago. I really hope that it has not changed much and I will try to get there this autumn. I have flight tickets to Tbilisi in 24 October.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Wow...amazing sceneries and buildings. What a nice place. Cheers, SL

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Hi Rati! Thanks for comment on my Mestia-page and very interesting your own page. I quite agree with you that it's a great pity I'm not able to visit this beautiful place once more...

rjaparidze

“Life is like a box of chocolates; you will never know what you gonna get”

Badges & Stats in Mestia