"Svaneti - the most worth to visit place in Georgia" Mestia by rjaparidze
Mestia Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 87 photos
If one asks me what is the place is in Georgia that has an international significance and that may really stand out from other places in the world I would name it is Svaneti.
I JUST DISCOVERED A GOOD WEBPAGE ON THIS REGION - VISIT IT IN CASE U INTEND TO GO THERE: http://www.svanetitrekking.ge/eng/index.htm
Svaneti is the part of Georgia located in the north-western part of Georgia where there are two roads to go. One from Zugdidi and the other from Kutaisi-Lentekhi. The first one is much much better road to follow…
During the recent years (more specifically after the dissolution of the Soviet Union that was accompanied with the civil war in Georgia) going up to Svaneti was not really considered safe. For some time the corrupt regime of Shevardnadze’s central government failed to control situation there and the region was gaining a reputation of bandits and of a place of kidnappings for money…
However looking into retrospect I would probably admit that laregely this was not true – yes it was a bit unsafe but not as much as it was portrayed . Those kidnappings that were notoriously known even beyond the borders of Georgia ultimately turned out not to be related to Svaneti as many thought including myself…
About three years ago the Government undertook an anticrime operation in the village of Etseri that basically started up the process of gaining the control over this region... Soon the tourism started to grow and slowly but steadily more and more people stated to come here.
- Pros:Fantastic Nature, Fantastic Towers, Fantastic Food
- Cons:Difficult to get, little knowledge of English, bad infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Really worth of going there
Ifari is a small village on the way to Ushguli and it is worth stopping on after passing thw first pass. The Church of... more travel advice
Svaneti is famous for its towers. I decided to include one that was different from all that I saw. It was built on the... more travel advice
rjaparidze's Related Pages
Mestia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Svaneti - the most worth to visit place in Georgia"
- "Mestia--Svaneti Region"
- "From Chegem to Mestia 1982"
- "Upper Svaneti"
- "Georgia - Mestia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mestia
- Hotels in Mestia
- Transportation in Mestia
- Restaurants in Mestia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mestia
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mestia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mestia
- updated a Mestia Travel Page "Svaneti - the most worth to visit place in Georgia"
- Posted in Travel Denmark Forum "Re: SIM card / Phone Operator for..."
- Wrote a Review Mii Van Travel in Mestia Transportation
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Mestia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tower on the Rock"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mestia Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borjomi Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Shatili Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Yusufeli Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Ashtarak Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Qax Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Verona 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Saki 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Trabzon Ili Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos