"Shatili / Mutso - One of the TOP Destinations" Shatili by rjaparidze
Shatili Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos
Shatili is a really fantastic place. And this place until recently has not really been visited by many tourists. Moreover, I tried to look the guidebooks on Georgia, and none of them (including Lonely Planet's newest edition) had information on it... Maybe because it was difficult to visit it :-)...
And indeed, after Tusheti, this is probably most difficult place to visit. Until Barisakho (which is the last settlement in the valley prior to starting up a long ascent), which is around 45 kms from the main highway, the road is ok. After it another 50 something kms takes around 5 hours to pass through. But the trip worth taking on...
Zinvali is the settlement which is on the main highway and one needs to take a right turn when travelling from Tbilisi. Zhinvali, which was built dozens of years ago, primarily served the huge water reservoir which one can not miss when driving to the north. There one can see a road sign "Barisakho 54 (if I am not wrong) and Shatili 100 kms". Here is where one needs to take to the right side....
Barisakho and one village just after that is the last more or less large settlement after which you embark on an ascent... The pass is the highest one after Mamisoni (which basically is not operational as it goest to Russia) totaling to around 2.800 meters.
On our way back we were able to see Caucasus range - including summits of Svaneti.
- Pros:Nature Fantastic, Towers Great, Tourists - Very Few
- Cons:Very Difficult to Get; Very Little Service
- In a nutshell:Jee.... It is GREAT
I do not know for sure but someone told me many years ago that this Pass - Datvistvali is the highest pass in Georgia. I... more travel advice
rjaparidze's Related Pages
Shatili Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Shatili
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Shatili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shatili
Photos in ShatiliSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mestia Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Borjomi Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Shatili Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Yusufeli Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Ashtarak Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Qax Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Verona 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Saki 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Trabzon Ili Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos