Saint Petersburg Things to Do Tips by arasnosliw Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint Petersburg Things to Do: 114 reviews and 162 photos
Barbie goes camping...
This Smithsonian owned museum in downtown St. Petersburg hosts a variety of interesting rotating exhibits. They range from mundane to rather eccentric.
When I went, there was an exhibit on the Cuban Missile Crisis as well as Barbie's 45th Anniversary commemoration. Other exhibits have been artifacts from the State Russian Museum, a baseball/pop art collection, and a Hubble telescope recreation.
See my St. Petersburg travelogues for more photos of the exhibits.
General admission is $10, seniors $8, students $5, under 6 are free.
Address: 100 2nd Street North
enjoying Caladesi Island
This island is off the coast, nearby Dunedin. The beach on Caladesi is world-renowned, and is consistently ranked as one of the best in the US. This beach is never crowded. In order to reach it, you have to take a ferry from Honeymoon Island in Dunedin. It is a great place to relax in white sand and enjoy tranquility.
There are also 3 miles of hiking trails and a 108-slip marina on the island.
Address: # 1 Causeway Blvd. Dunedin, Florida 34698
Directions: SR-580 west to SR-586 fork then left. Follow SR-586 west into park. Take the ferry from Honeymoon Island to Caladesi. In Dunedin
boats at the yacht club
The St. Petersburg Yacht Club, fancy hotels, specialty shops, are what line Bayshore Drive. This road stretches along Tampa Bay from 5th Avenue South all the way north to 5th Avenue North. There are scenic parks to explore and a path to jog along. In the right weather, Bayshore Drive is an ideal place to be.
Address: Bayshore Drive
Directions: between 5th Ave N and 5th Ave S lining Tampa Bay
One-in-all type of place
"The Pier" in St. Petersburg is home to a variety of shops, restaurants, an aquarium, and concerts. It's a great place to take the entire family, and even at night the bars are brewing with people.
The half mile long wharf dwindles down to this upside-down triangle shaped yellow building.
One of the many restaurants here is Columbia Restaurant, a branch of the original in Ybor City (Tampa), that serves delicious traditional Spanish/Cuban cuisine.
You can rent bikes, segways here or sign up to go on a boat tour of Tampa Bay.
The pier even hosts an art and design center.
There's something interesting for all tastes at the Pier, so it's a good bet if you're traveling with others and can't decide upon one activity in particular.
Address: 800 Second Ave. N.E., St. Petersburg, 33701
Directions: Head East on Second Avenue NE.
near Clearwater Bay (btwn Beach and Mainland)
North of St. Petersburg, Clearwater has become a popular tourist spot. There are beautiful sandy beaches and high rise condos along the Gulf of Mexico, but the increasing rate of tacky souvenier shops rather defaces the beauty of the area. In Clearwater Beach, Pier 60 is a nice place to grab a drink and listen to outdoor concerts. Inland to the east is the city of Clearwater, International headquarters to the Church of Scientology. You may notice a different vibe in downtown Clearwater due to the dominance of the Church. There's a specific way Scientologists tend to dress and walk, and although subtle this caught my eye.
Directions: north of St. Petersburg, take 611 north to 60 west.
train tracks welcoming you to downtown
Safety Harbor is located in northeastern Pinellas county, on the northwest corner of Old Tampa Bay. Just a bit north of the St. Pete's-Clearwater Airport on 611, Safety Harbor embodies a small town feel with a charming downtown district full of Ma & Pa shops and restaurants. The waterfront is just steps away from downtown, and the narrow streets are always full of people jogging and walking their dogs.
Directions: northeastern Pinellas County
Take 611 to 580 West.
Apricot Wheat Ale
The award winning Dunedin Brewery is home to some good tasting local brews. This is a Scottish-settled town north of St. Petersburg. The brewery produces several types of oh-so-mouthwatering potent concoctions: Pipers Pale Ale (voted best in Florida), Apricot Wheat Ale, Celtic Gold Ale, Beachtale Brown Ale, Redhead Red Ale, and Leonard Croon's Old Mean Stout. When the season's right, try some Oktoberfest Beer or Christmas Farm Ale.
The brewery is located on the Main Street in Dunedin, a quaint historic area with many wonderful shops. There is a Scottish Pub at the brewery with live music to drink and dine at.
My taste buds are salivating while dreaming of an apricot ale.
Address: 937 Douglas Ave. Dunedin, FL 34698
Directions: Turn onto SR-580 (heading West for about 2.5 miles)
Keep STRAIGHT onto Skinner Blvd
Turn LEFT (South) onto Douglas Ave
Phone: (727) 736-0606
The icon of surrealism has a whole museum dedicated to him in St. Petersburg.
This houses the most comprehensive collection of Dalí's works in the world!
This is a must see for all art lovers!
Museum's Regular Hours:
Monday through Saturday - 9:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
Thursdays - 9:30 a.m. until 8 p.m.
Sundays - noon until 5:30 p.m.
The Museum is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days.
General Admission - $13.00
Senior citizens 65+ / Military & Police - $11.00
Students* ages 10+ (18+ with ID) - $7
Children ages 5 to 9 - $7
Children ages 4 and under - FREE*
Thursdays are $5 after 5 p.m. (Museum is open until 8 p.m.)
Address: 1000 Third St South, St.Petersburg, Florida 33701
Directions: downtown St. Petersburg
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Reviews (22)
- See All a Palm Harbor favorite
- See All forgetting something?
- See All luxury and all that jazz
- See All Tampa Bay Devil Rays
arasnosliw's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "saint petersburg, florida"
- "St Petersburg and Pinellas County"
- "The Sunshine City!"
- "St Pete - Tampa's Sister City"
- "FLORIDA is fun in the sun."
- "The Sunshine City in The Sunshine State"
- "God's Waiting Room:"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Jacksonville Hotels
- Sweetwater Station Hotels
- Akaka Falls State Park Hotels
- Dubuque Hotels
- Prefecture de Butare
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 30 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: All good things come to an..."
- Commented on one of NC_Ziggy's Saint Petersburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review a Palm Harbor favorite in Saint Petersburg Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "a Palm Harbor favorite"
- created a Saint Petersburg Travelogue "Cuban Missile Crisis exhibit @ Fla Int'l Museum"
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 30 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 27 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Óbidos Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tampa Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Halifax Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Saint Petersburg hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort St. Petersburg Marina Cove
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Doubletree Beach Resort Tampa Bay/North Redington Beach
- 904 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Beach House Suites By Don Cesar
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Ramada Inn Mirage
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Gulf Strand Resort
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Alden Resort Hotel
- 598 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Alden Beach Resort Hotel St Petersburg
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Inn at the Bay
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hampton Inn St. Petersburg
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Sunset Bay Inn
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Colonial Bayfront Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2007
- Mansion House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Inn St Petersburg
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Suncoast Executive Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- La Veranda Bed & Breakfast
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013