"beautiful Nova Scotia" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia by arasnosliw
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide: 2,377 reviews and 6,428 photos
I was anxiously awaiting my arrival into Nova Scotia, after all I had been traveling for a good 9 hours and couldn’t wait to get into town and hit the sack. I figured that I would breeze through immigrations/customs but wow was I wrong. As soon as I arrived at immigrations I immediately noticed that the officer didn’t favor the fact that I was traveling alone, but I didn’t give her questioning any second thought. When entering customs, I immediately knew I was in for interrogation because the officers directed me the complete opposite direction than everyone else. So after finding out that I was targeted for being a single female traveler that was arriving simply for personal reasons (not work), the following conversation occurred…
Blue: Customs lady
Italics: the things I wanted to say but knew better than doing so.
I’m still a bit confused as to why you are interrogating me for traveling alone. Could you please clarify this?
It seems so unnatural for women of your age to be traveling alone.
(I don’t know what planet you’re from lady, but there’s lots of solo travelers out there. Take a look inside a freaking hostel)
I’m a seasoned traveler, ma’am, and I’ve traveled to many countries alone. This is nothing extraordinary for me. When I do travel, I encounter plenty of women my age who travel solo.
(I’m trying to enter Canada for goodness sake, not Afghanistan)
As she searches through everything in my bag…
Who are these magnets for?
I bought them for a friend in Seattle who collects them. (purchased during layover in NJ)
Are you sure you didn’t buy them for someone here in Canada?
Did you fall in love with a guy on the internet that you’re intending on meeting here?
(Come on, I know I’m a VT member ;-) but I have credibility and don’t accuse me of traveling because I’m running after a guy)
Of course I’m not meeting any guy here. Even if I am, ma’am, I am an adult and that’s certainly none of your business if I go about doing so.
Then I still don’t understand why you are here. Are you running away from home and your parents?
Once again, I am an adult and I haven't lived with my parents for years. In fact, I live 2000 miles away from them.
(at this point I’m thinking of harassing the woman about her life history)
So after about 30 more minutes of ridiculous interrogation, she finally begins to wind down off her power trip. She even accuses me of hating the local food because I packed some breakfast bars with me. Preposterous!
I’m not trying to make you feel unwelcome here in Halifax, I’m just amazed that you would fly all this way just for 5 days without some ulterior motive.
My motive is simply to experience the world....
So I guess the point of me sharing this with you is to find out if anyone else has experienced such a circumstance while traveling.
Drive along the many coastal highways in Nova Scotia. They are extremely scenic and you'll be able to stop by small... more travel advice
Such a tragedy... Swiss Air Flight 111 crashed off the coast of Nova Scotia, just a few kilometers off-shore from... more travel advice
arasnosliw's Related Pages
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From the old country to the new."
- "Farewell to Nova Scotia, your sea bound coast"
- "beautiful Nova Scotia"
- "GOTTA LOVE NOVA SCOTIA"
- "Nova Scotia Bound!"
- "Nova Scotia "land by the Sea ""
- "The Quiet Isle of Adventures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Nova Scotia
- Hotels in Province of Nova Scotia
- Transportation in Province of Nova Scotia
- Nightlife in Province of Nova Scotia
- Restaurants in Province of Nova Scotia
- Shopping in Province of Nova Scotia
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Nova Scotia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Nova Scotia
- 31 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Province of Nova Scotia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Nova Scotia
- updated a Province of Nova Scotia Travel Page "beautiful Nova Scotia"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: All good things come to an..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "beautiful Nova Scotia"
- Commented on one of scottishvisitor's Province of Nova Scotia travel pages
- Wrote a Review drive around the coast in Province of Nova Scotia Favorites
Photos in Province of Nova ScotiaSee All Photos (123)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 30 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 27 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Óbidos Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tampa Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Halifax Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues