"beautiful Nova Scotia" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia by arasnosliw

Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide: 2,077 reviews and 5,114 photos

Below is a little story about my hassles upon arriving into Nova Scotia. The story is there to merely recount this mildly humorous yet oh-so-frustrating event. However, don't let this story lead you to believe that I didn't adore every minute of my trip otherwise. Nova Scotia is purely beautiful.

Welcome to Canada, now why the $%&* are you here?

Well...

I was anxiously awaiting my arrival into Nova Scotia, after all I had been traveling for a good 9 hours and couldn’t wait to get into town and hit the sack. I figured that I would breeze through immigrations/customs but wow was I wrong. As soon as I arrived at immigrations I immediately noticed that the officer didn’t favor the fact that I was traveling alone, but I didn’t give her questioning any second thought. When entering customs, I immediately knew I was in for interrogation because the officers directed me the complete opposite direction than everyone else. So after finding out that I was targeted for being a single female traveler that was arriving simply for personal reasons (not work), the following conversation occurred…

Red: Me
Blue: Customs lady
Italics: the things I wanted to say but knew better than doing so.

I’m still a bit confused as to why you are interrogating me for traveling alone. Could you please clarify this?

It seems so unnatural for women of your age to be traveling alone.

(I don’t know what planet you’re from lady, but there’s lots of solo travelers out there. Take a look inside a freaking hostel)

I’m a seasoned traveler, ma’am, and I’ve traveled to many countries alone. This is nothing extraordinary for me. When I do travel, I encounter plenty of women my age who travel solo.

(I’m trying to enter Canada for goodness sake, not Afghanistan)

As she searches through everything in my bag…

Who are these magnets for?

I bought them for a friend in Seattle who collects them. (purchased during layover in NJ)

Are you sure you didn’t buy them for someone here in Canada?

Positive.

Did you fall in love with a guy on the internet that you’re intending on meeting here?

WHAAT?!?!

(Come on, I know I’m a VT member ;-) but I have credibility and don’t accuse me of traveling because I’m running after a guy)

Of course I’m not meeting any guy here. Even if I am, ma’am, I am an adult and that’s certainly none of your business if I go about doing so.

Then I still don’t understand why you are here. Are you running away from home and your parents?

Once again, I am an adult and I haven't lived with my parents for years. In fact, I live 2000 miles away from them.

(at this point I’m thinking of harassing the woman about her life history)

So after about 30 more minutes of ridiculous interrogation, she finally begins to wind down off her power trip. She even accuses me of hating the local food because I packed some breakfast bars with me. Preposterous!

I’m not trying to make you feel unwelcome here in Halifax, I’m just amazed that you would fly all this way just for 5 days without some ulterior motive.

My motive is simply to experience the world....

So I guess the point of me sharing this with you is to find out if anyone else has experienced such a circumstance while traveling.

• Last visit to Province of Nova Scotia: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2004

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM

If you thought Nova Scotia security staff was bad, don't fly into Philly. :) I suppose there's one person in every bunch who loathes his or her job. Too bad, it's not a nice way to welcome someone.

• suzanka46's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2008 at 8:59 PM

sorry to hear of immigration problems but- every country has one of these cranky immigration officers we had the same problem in amsterdam and in minneapolis mn. usa flying from canada--consider it a part of travel in this world of anti trust since 911

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Hi was about to complain u say u r about to delete pgs..but what a nightmare customs story-maybe she needed to see yr VT pg as a character reference!we still get hassled in the UK even tho we hav roots but yrs is a classic!Enjoyd yr pg here thx4 the tour!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Wonderful tips! You made my decision whether to go there this September a lot easier...

• Aafia's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 8:14 AM

Greetings from Nova Scotia. Looking forward to meeting you at Baltoberfest. (I'm not as cranky as the Immigrations lady you encountered in Halifax.) Cheers, Afia

• Aug 18, 2006 at 6:51 AM

This sign is used to indicate the location of a tourist information center. Some are operated by the province, some are run by the town, others are operated by local volunteer or service groups.

• terrypalooza's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 7:12 AM

It means there is an information booth.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 6:17 AM

So what would have happened if you had an arab name? I think it is so sad that in just a few years we all have to deal with incidents that would have raised eyebrows in the past, but now try to accept as normal. Poor world.

• ChuckG's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 6:33 PM

Damn, didn't know customs in Nova Scotia were at gun point... !!! LOL

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2005 at 6:51 PM

Great conversation on your page! My mother wants to take us all to NS for her birthday...I wonder what she'll say to our rag-tag group!

Badges & Stats in Province of Nova Scotia

Have you been to Province of Nova Scotia?