Lisbon Local Custom Tips by arasnosliw Top 5 Page for this destination
Lisbon Local Customs: 150 reviews and 208 photos
street performer and dog
There are lots of street performers, especially on accordian, who will be asking for money. Resist.
This one was exceptionally cute because he had a little chihuahua holding the change bucket in his mouth. I feel like just about every visitor to Lisboa has seen this pair. Them and the begging woman/child that frequent Baixo.
Portugal, the land of great wine, seafood, olives, and cheese. Fantastic food if you ask me. I'm not Portuguese, so I shouldn't take any offense when I hear foreigners complaining how bad the local food is, but I DO! Why? Because most of them are probably not eating the right things, they are picky, or they don't like seafood.
You will probably encounter steak and potatoes on every menu. Go to any restaurant, and almost the entire menu is served with french fries. This isn't limited to tourist restaurants; this is omnipresent. Portuguese love meat. Whenever I would go out to eat with my Portuguese friends, they'd take me to a local restaurant and then order a burger, or they'd take me to a steak house and eat a humongous slab of cow. Great if you are into meat that much, but I certainly am not.
Anyway, my point is that many visitors may feel that this is representative of local cuisine, but it is not. Try some bacalhau, fresh grilled sardines, queijo fresco, olives, snails, anything with duck, swordfish, any soups, pastries, etc. etc. etc. I am sure there are many more things I can think of that I am not listing now....
a food for the masses
Considered one of Portugal's staple foods, Caldo Verde is one of the most typical soups you'll find all over the country. Simply made from thinly sliced kale (a dark cabbage called "couve galega" in Portugal, kind of like collard greens), potatoes, onions, and garlic, a few slices of choriço (sausage) are added for a last touch.
The yellow and green colored soup is good for lunch, or as a starter for dinner.
Considered a food of the poor peasant's, it is commonly served with just bread on the side. Who cares of its affiliation; it's delicious and cheap. That's all I care about!
vinho verde, portuguese green wine
Try the Vinho Verde while in Portugal. That is translated to "Green Wine." Yes, although it is technically a white wine, they call it specifically a green wine. It is made from young, underdeveloped grapes. The underfermentation causes the wine to be a bit sparkly, but not to the extent of champagne. Vinho Verde is a light, crisp, refreshing drink perfect for a summer drink, with fish or cheese or whatnot. Click on website for more information.
employee at "A Ginjinha" pouring shots
A favorite liquor of the Portuguese!
Ginjinha is a liquor made by fermenting ginja (similar to cherries) in brandy. Ginjinha is served in a shot form with a piece of the fermented fruit on the bottom of the cup. Imagine how awfully strong it is.
I'm not a big fan of ginjinha, it reminds me of cherry flavored cough syrup. However, I recommend any tourist to taste a bit of this Portuguese specialty.
The most famous place to experience this drink is a little shop named "A Ginjinha" on the northeast corner of Rossio. The store is tiny, so you go inside, buy your drink, and hurry outside to taste it.
bacalhau with olives
Bacalhau - the national dish of Portugal. Intererstingly enough, the fish comes mainly from Norway. It is salted cod that must be soaked for 24 hrs. prior to cooking. There are thousands of ways to cook bacalhau. Try it grilled, if you have no idea what to choose.
More Reviews (47)
- See All pigeons
- See All Armazéns do Chiado
- See All Oceanarium (Oceanario de Lisboa)
- See All modernity exists.
- See All an always happenin' hotspot
arasnosliw's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Lisboa, probably the most beautiful city there is"
- "Lisboa the Capital of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Warmond Hotels
- Port Moresby
- Lago Chapo Hotels
- Aculco de Espinoza Hotels
- Fo Tan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 53 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 58 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 30 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 27 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Óbidos Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tampa Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Halifax Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Lisbon hotel reviews
- Alif Hotel Lisbon
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Lisbon Easy Hostel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Pestana Palace
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Residencial Horizonte
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 24, 2013
- Sana Park Metropolitan Hotel Lisbon
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- VIP Grand Lisboa Hotel & Spa
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Lapa Palace
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Albergaria Insulana
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Real Residencia Suite Hotel Lisbon
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Residencial Estoril Lisboa
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Vincci Baixa
- 214 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ibis Lisboa Liberdade
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Vila Gale Estoril
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Churches and monasteries- 219 Reviews, 424 Photos
- Plazas and squares- 218 Reviews, 372 Photos
- Belém- 285 Reviews, 556 Photos
- Day trips: Sintra, Cascais, Estoril...- 86 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Castles and palaces- 136 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Lisbon neighborhoods- 156 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Grand structures and architecture- 185 Reviews, 311 Photos
- Elevadores- 88 Reviews, 145 Photos
- Museums and cultural centers- 154 Reviews, 377 Photos
- Parks and the Zoo- 98 Reviews, 186 Photos
See All Lisbon Things to Do