"saudades de Lisboa" Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon by arasnosliw
Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,193 reviews and 12,839 photos
The history, the passion, the food, the language. I only crave it more, now that I have left.
So, I'll definitely be back. Three times is not even enough.
Lisboa is one of those cities I think most people do not fully recognize.
From first glance it may appear rather bland, dilapidated, uncharacteristic.
Stare harder and you realize this city still retains many ties to its past although it is quickly developing to withhold in the future, and there is a lot of charm to that! Nowadays, too many cities are caught in making buildings and roads look modern, new, and so-called "perfect". To me beauty is in imperfection.
So, if you take in Lisboa from this perspective, you will see this brilliant city once at the seat of power in Europe to be incredibly beautiful. The hills, the river, the crooked streets, the way the intense sunlight reflects off of whitewashed buildings, the beautiful azulejo tilework, not to mention some of the best seafood, wine, and cheese you'll ever find. The people are passionate about their country, being small and often overlooked, and you can sense this when talking to them.
Things I'll miss about Lisbon:
utter chaos of the city
smell of sardinhas grilling on the street
the way the light reflects off the whitewashed buildings
getting lost in the labyrinth of alfama
exploring parks (and sleeping in them)
fantastic wine and cheese
eating caracois on the beach
Things I can live without:
feces on sidewalk
rabid dogs wanting to bite me
rabid men wanting to bite me
the lack of vegetables to eat
bacalhau, a gazillion ways
love them or hate them (now I doubt many people love them), pigeons abound the central areas of the city. Walk around... more travel advice
Lisbon's Oceanarium is located within the new and modern area in the Northeast, Parque das Naçoes, developed for the... more travel advice
- See All modernity exists.
- See All an always happenin' hotspot
- See All Parque Florestal de Monsanto
- See All tourist trams
arasnosliw's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Ahh, LISBON....Esta tao bonita como sempre."
- "Lisboa the Capital of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 53 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 30 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 27 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Óbidos Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tampa Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Halifax Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues