"a colorful city on the river" Porto by arasnosliw

Porto Travel Guide: 1,035 reviews and 2,672 photos

By pure chance I ended up visiting Porto. I had wanted to go here for so long, but I was thoroughly absorbed in my doings in Lisbon to get chances to escape that often. One of the last weekends I was able to escape out of town, several of my flat mates were going to Coimbra. Reluctantly, I agreed to go with them. It wasn't that I didn't want to see Coimbra, but I truly wanted to go to Aveiro or Porto. They convinced me into going, and I was a little disappointed about my decision. Miraculously, another guy who was traveling with us decided that he was going to push on to Porto and I said "ME TOO!" No way was I going to let this opportunity pass. After all, this would probably be my last chance until I left Portugal.

All I can say is that I'm absolutely glad I did not pass up the opportunity. Porto is simply gorgeous. Built on the northern bank of the Douro River, the city has a long history of fishing, trading, and port wine production. For being Portugal's second largest city (~270,000), it is surprisingly charming. In contrast to the chaos of Lisbon, Porto feels tame. It is quite a relaxing escape from the wild capital.

The historic city called ribeira became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.

My only advice to you is: When the opportunity arises to visit Porto, DON'T PASS IT UP! You'll regret it.

• In a nutshell:there's more than just Port wine here
  • Last visit to Porto: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2004

• Aug 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Can someone tell me where this is in Porto??

• Caniko's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 11:54 AM

These are very nice porto pages. I have been there 2 years ago and loved very much.

• Elena_blue's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 12:06 AM

I m planning to travel to Portugal this summer and your photo on your Porto intro page made my day... Thanx!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2006 at 9:21 AM

Another wonderful page from which I 'stole' a lot of tips! Thanks. We hope to sip some porto here in September.

• BIW's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Im going to Europe in September and debating between Porto or the fjords in Norway. Porto looks very beautiful and 'real'.

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2006 at 12:37 PM

I'm glad u have good things to say about Porto, Sara.... I'll likely stop here in June... (I kinda have the itch for a fortified wine tour,,,, so,,, Sherry, Madeira, Marsala and I guess u cant miss Porto... ;o))) Cheers....

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2005 at 9:13 AM

I just looked at your pages on Portuguese cities, and your pages must be some of the best I have seen on VT. Awesome photos, and lots of info. Thanks. I am planning a trip to Portugal next month.

• gubbi1's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 3:32 AM

Good advice! I was there and it was great! By the way, when are you in Francfort? Christian.

• Folbi's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 10:20 AM

Where are you born? ... I'm just back from Porto this week-end. I will create my pages sooner .. or later. Franck

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 3:12 PM

Just quite how were you expecting the local youths (all male I noticed) to be spreading their parasites to you??? Looks like you had caught rather a lot of sun whilst you were out there!

Badges & Stats in Porto