"a colorful city on the river" Porto by arasnosliw
Porto Travel Guide: 1,064 reviews and 2,820 photos
By pure chance I ended up visiting Porto. I had wanted to go here for so long, but I was thoroughly absorbed in my doings in Lisbon to get chances to escape that often. One of the last weekends I was able to escape out of town, several of my flat mates were going to Coimbra. Reluctantly, I agreed to go with them. It wasn't that I didn't want to see Coimbra, but I truly wanted to go to Aveiro or Porto. They convinced me into going, and I was a little disappointed about my decision. Miraculously, another guy who was traveling with us decided that he was going to push on to Porto and I said "ME TOO!" No way was I going to let this opportunity pass. After all, this would probably be my last chance until I left Portugal.
All I can say is that I'm absolutely glad I did not pass up the opportunity. Porto is simply gorgeous. Built on the northern bank of the Douro River, the city has a long history of fishing, trading, and port wine production. For being Portugal's second largest city (~270,000), it is surprisingly charming. In contrast to the chaos of Lisbon, Porto feels tame. It is quite a relaxing escape from the wild capital.
The historic city called ribeira became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.
My only advice to you is: When the opportunity arises to visit Porto, DON'T PASS IT UP! You'll regret it.
- In a nutshell:there's more than just Port wine here
This arch in Ribeira has some part of historical significance, but I'm so tired and forgetful right now...my mind has... more travel advice
Take a look at the doors on the houses in Ribeira. I'm not quite sure about the history of these doors. They are tiny.... more travel advice
arasnosliw's Related Pages
Porto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spring and Port Wine!"
- "A Fine Port"
- "Place where people work!"
- "a colorful city on the river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto
- Hotels in Porto
- Transportation in Porto
- Nightlife in Porto
- Restaurants in Porto
- Shopping in Porto
- Warnings and Dangers in Porto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto
- 25 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Porto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 30 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 27 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Óbidos Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tampa Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Halifax Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues