"Go frolic in the water" Changuinola by arasnosliw

Changuinola Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 24 photos

If you are traveling overland from Costa Rica to Panamá on the Caribbean Coast, chances are you'll stop in Changuinola. This is one of the gateways to Bocas del Toro, Panamá. Located in the northeast corner of the country, Changuinola is poor like many of the other cities in the surrounding area. It is far from being a tourist destination although many pass through. This is home to a huge Chiquita Banana plantation, so you will see banana trees covered in blue plastic bags everywhere (pesticide -loaded evil bags to poison you with). This plantation is the key to sustaining many of the locals' livelihoods.

Just outside Changuinola, water taxis travel through these canals until it reaches the open sea and the islands of Bocas. Many native people live along the waterways, and it is an amazing ride to Bocas as you will encounter how people really live in the area. It is just water, water, and more water. The terrain is also incredible. I kind of felt like I was not in Panamá but rather in the Amazon.

• Last visit to Changuinola: May 2005
  • Intro Written Jun 8, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 9:17 AM

What a fascinating place....

• quime's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 8:38 AM

Great pics and comments of an unknown place for many people.

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Scenery : Waouh !!!!

• Aug 4, 2005 at 10:41 PM

my grandmother still buys me poofy lacy dresses for church. little does she know i haven't been to church for many years. throwing germans overboard could be a fun sport to play. holli, its time to play! ;-)

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 6:44 PM

Vaya vaya, veo que alborotaste a la pobre gente de Changuinola! Como sea, me encanta la manera en que me cuentas las cosas, um besinho

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 3:00 PM

Throw a German overboard? Looks like someone has done that to Holli on his current HP pic! I don't wear poofy Sunday dresses full of lace either (well only on weekends). BTW, what was chodearm's comment all about :-0

• dvideira's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM

aiiiiiii.... that bouncing german guy....makes me dizzy just for thinking of... ouch

• Jun 24, 2005 at 12:32 PM

I love reading about trips like this. I feel it is very important to see or even experience life as it is lived by others.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 7:05 AM

Nice photos, I enjoyed reading your commentary. I had a similar experience with my boat driver in Thailand, bought him a beer and he got us back okay.

• chodearm's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2005 at 1:46 PM

I just frigged in my pants.

Badges & Stats in Changuinola

Have you been to Changuinola?

Latest Activity in Changuinola