Rio de Janeiro Off The Beaten Path Tips by MartaBotelho
Rio de Janeiro Off The Beaten Path: 266 reviews and 288 photos
The hill where this little church sits on (called "Outeiro") used to have at it's feet the ocean. Later on in the 20th century the ocean gave roon to land and men constructed a whole area of gardens and roads right in front of the hill. The church was constructed from 1714 to 1739 and it represents a mixture of Final Rococo and Neoclassical styles. It has a peculiar shape of an hexagon very diferent from the cross shaped churches of the time. On the inside there is plenty of wood workand the Portuguese tiles panels cover all the walls. The tiles were done in Portugal by Maestro Valentim de Almeida and it's supposed to be a representation of a book called "The Chants of all Chants" for the exeption of the tiles in the Sacristy. Those represente bucolic cenes of the time. The tiles were in a very degradating state and the Fellowship of the Church granted the permission to perform a restoration. It took us more than a year but when we go inside now and see it finished it gives us the most incredible feeling of all!! Working in that restoration gave me the opportunity to learn all about the church and the tile manufacturing art. Please do visit this church!! The view is splendid from there and the arquitectural, wood and tile work is magnificent!!
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: (55-21) 2225-2869
More Reviews (25)
- See All Wonderfull self service on weekends
- See All Santa Teresa
- See All Downtown
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 26 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
No friends yet.
- Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado- 158 Reviews, 254 Photos
- Copacabana- 108 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Sugarloaf Mountain - Pão de Açucar- 127 Reviews, 224 Photos
- Carnaval- 58 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Tijuca Forest- 27 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Santa Teresa- 34 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Downtown- 47 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 42 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Ipanema- 64 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Maracanã Soccer Stadium- 43 Reviews, 70 Photos
See All Rio de Janeiro Things to Do