"Wales" Wales by percy961
Wales Travel Guide: 4,854 reviews and 15,512 photos
10 things you probably know about Wales
1 Wales is part of Great Britain but has its own distinct, national identity
2 We have our own language - Welsh - although English is more widely spoken
3 We have a National Assembly for Wales with AMs (Assembly Members) as well as MPs representing us in Westminster
4 Our national sport is rugby union - but our soccer team is pretty hot, too
5 The capital city is Cardiff, in South Wales
6 The biggest cities and towns are Cardiff (pop 280,000) Swansea (180,000) and Newport (135,000) in South Wales and Wrexham (129,000) in the north
7 Our heraldic emblem is a red dragon, but daffodils and leeks are also associated with Wales (not necessarily all at the same time)
8 St David - or Dewi Sant - is our patron saint
9 Our mountain and coastal scenery is so spectacular that tourists flock to visit
10 The Prince of Wales - Prince Charles - is the heir to the British throne
Covering an area of 20,764 square kilometres, Wales is the most western part of mainland Britain. Bordered by sea on three sides, and England to the east.
Mountains and valleys dominate the landscape, with large renages in the north and south. At 1,085 metres, Snowdon is the highest peak in Wales.
Think of Wales and you think of the red dragon, the heraldic symbol of the Principality that features on our national flag.
This mythical creature has come to symbolise the fiery Welsh, proud and defiant in the face of adversity - usually in battles with the English.
Legend has it that the symbol of the red dragon was sported on a crest by Arthur, son of Uthr Bendragon. It was said that the father had seen a dragon in the sky predicting his son would be king.
- Pros:Great People, Wonderful Scenery and The Crack !
Caerphilly Castle in south Wales is one of the largest castles in the United Kingdom. It was built by Gilbert de Clare... more travel advice
percy961's Related Pages
Wales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Wales"
- "A Week in North Wales"
- "A beautifull country"
- "Croeso Cymru"
- "A few nights in Wales"
- "Gwlad, Gwlad!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wales
- Hotels in Wales
- Transportation in Wales
- Nightlife in Wales
- Restaurants in Wales
- Shopping in Wales
- Warnings and Dangers in Wales
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wales
- 96 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Wales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wales
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 77 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zante Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pissouri Intro, 22 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lachi Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos