"Drover's Town" Llandovery by percy961
Llandovery Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
Llandovery is a small market town of approximately 1,700 inhabitants in the eastern part of Carmarthenshire. Stop and take time to visit this ancient Drovers' Town, and enjoy the small shops and cafes that share some of the spirit of the town
Llandovery is a small market town of approximately 1,700 inhabitants in the eastern part of Carmarthenshire. Stop and take time to visit this ancient Drovers' Town, and enjoy the small shops and cafes that share some of the spirit of the town.
In 1116, the Norman Richard Fitz Pons began construction of the motte and bailey, then known as the "castle of Cantref Bychan." Shortly thereafter, the Welsh, led by Gruffydd ap Rhys, attacked and destroyed the outer bailey. However, the Normans retained control of the castle until 1158, when the Lord Rhys successfully seized it from owner Walter Clifford.
Over the next several years, control of Llandovery Castle not only alternated between the Welsh and the English, but the heirs of the Lord Rhys (including Rhys Gryg and Maelgwyn) also fought each other for command of their father's possessions. In 1277, Llandovery Castle finally fell to Edward I, and the English monarchs continued to control the stronghold until its demise, with the brief exception of a few months in 1282 when Llywelyn the Last captured the castle.
percy961's Related Pages
Llandovery Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Llandovery
- Hotels in Llandovery
- Transportation in Llandovery
- Shopping in Llandovery
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Llandovery
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Llandovery?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Llandovery
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 77 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zante Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pissouri Intro, 22 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lachi Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos