"New York City the "usual" distination for "trips"" New York City by Upstate1NY
New York City Travel Guide: 15,888 reviews and 31,980 photos
My Great Uncle, Henry Wort and myself, 1963, sitting on a wall at Fort Wadsworth Staten Island. The Verrazano-Narrows bridge is under contruction behind us. My aunt and uncle lost their house to the project, she was angry about it; he was fastenated by it.
The UN building, symbol of world peace and unity, for the "Citizens of Planet Earth", as seen from the East River, is set against the faint but still rising column of smoke from "Ground Zero" in November of 2001.
St. Paul's only one block from "ground zero", 9/11/2001 but a "world away" for those who sought refuge, comfort and solace, during "that day" and the days to come.
The "quintessential", defining elements of the US and "Americans" was sum up in a few sentences by the brother of a friend who himself was also a Russian ?migr? to the US. He remarked "This seemingly plastic, narcissistic, pudding brained society turned to concrete, an iron willed, yet loving, caring people in an instatant, right before my eyes! People ran into the streets, not to riot against the government but to HELP each other cope with this disaster, people ran into harms way to save anther' person's life, it did not matter that they did not know who they were helping, it did not matter that they were not paid to do this, THEY JUST DID IT! No one had to order them to help, THEY ordered others out of the way if they would NOT help".
I took GREAT satisfaction in hearing these words, the phrases of Lincoln rang in my ears, "Government of the people, by the people, for the people" is ALIVE and well despite "appearances" to the ignorant and unknowing.
Nathan Hale, when asked if he anything to say before the British Army hung him as a spy, remarked, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country". The firefighters, police officers and Todd Beamer with others on flight 93 proved that Nathan Hale embodied the spirit that makes Americans, Americans.
To me, we don't riot agaist the government of the US because the governement is US! (Yes we are not always happy the way the government does some things but as Walt Kelly noted in Pogo, "We have meet the emeny and "they is US".)
- In a nutshell:"In a Nutshell" yup, In a "Nutshell", That is NYC!
Coney Island the New York City "relaxation center". Physically really not that far from the "madding hordes and crowded... more travel advice
Upstate1NY's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Commented on one of gilabrand's New York City travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Moving tips from one..."
- Wrote a Review Relaxation as a "Business" about Coney Island in New York City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relaxation as a "Business""
- updated a New York City Travel Page "New York City the "usual" distination for "trips""
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Saratov Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 17 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bishkek Intro, 6 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Russia Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues