"New York City the "usual" distination for "trips"" New York City by Upstate1NY

New York City Travel Guide: 15,856 reviews and 31,858 photos

First "recorded" NYC visit of "note" 1963

My Great Uncle, Henry Wort and myself, 1963, sitting on a wall at Fort Wadsworth Staten Island. The Verrazano-Narrows bridge is under contruction behind us. My aunt and uncle lost their house to the project, she was angry about it; he was fastenated by it.

2002 A study in "contrasts"

The UN building, symbol of world peace and unity, for the "Citizens of Planet Earth", as seen from the East River, is set against the faint but still rising column of smoke from "Ground Zero" in November of 2001.

2002, southern Manhatten, St. Paul's Chapel

St. Paul's only one block from "ground zero", 9/11/2001 but a "world away" for those who sought refuge, comfort and solace, during "that day" and the days to come.
The "quintessential", defining elements of the US and "Americans" was sum up in a few sentences by the brother of a friend who himself was also a Russian ?migr? to the US. He remarked "This seemingly plastic, narcissistic, pudding brained society turned to concrete, an iron willed, yet loving, caring people in an instatant, right before my eyes! People ran into the streets, not to riot against the government but to HELP each other cope with this disaster, people ran into harms way to save anther' person's life, it did not matter that they did not know who they were helping, it did not matter that they were not paid to do this, THEY JUST DID IT! No one had to order them to help, THEY ordered others out of the way if they would NOT help".
I took GREAT satisfaction in hearing these words, the phrases of Lincoln rang in my ears, "Government of the people, by the people, for the people" is ALIVE and well despite "appearances" to the ignorant and unknowing.
Nathan Hale, when asked if he anything to say before the British Army hung him as a spy, remarked, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country". The firefighters, police officers and Todd Beamer with others on flight 93 proved that Nathan Hale embodied the spirit that makes Americans, Americans.
To me, we don't riot agaist the government of the US because the governement is US! (Yes we are not always happy the way the government does some things but as Walt Kelly noted in Pogo, "We have meet the emeny and "they is US".)

• In a nutshell:"In a Nutshell" yup, In a "Nutshell", That is NYC!
  • Last visit to New York City: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2004

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 7:07 PM

That's a wonderful picture of you and your uncle at the bridge, Lee. I was a baby up in the Bronx then. A fascinating look at a bit of the New York I was born into...and in color too. Great stuff...congrats.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2005 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for the Brooklyn T-log! Great page about a great city! You looked fine at 16!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 11:17 AM

Very nice page. Greets.

Upstate1NY

“"Onward and Upward"”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?