"Last stop before Moscow (for me) on the Trans SRR" Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod by Upstate1NY
Nizhniy Novgorod Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 327 photos
The Saint Alexander Nevski Cathedral, as beautiful as the Cathedral itself is, time, and perhaps economic necessity have changes the local environs in a manner that tend to belie the significance that should be attached to this church. It stands on a prominence of land that projects into the Volga River. When it was built I am sure it was a splendid site with all due reverence attached to it and the grounds around it. Now it is surrounded by HUGE cranes and derricks used to unload fright and such from vessels on the river. Night time is the best time to photograph it. The cranes and other elements that would compete with it as the center of your attention in a picture fade into oblivion at night when the cathedral is illuminated in all it's glory.
The assistant to the Bishop gave me permission to photograph the interior, it is currently under restoration, it is a "working" church, so I have tried to avoid interrupting worshipers as they proceeded with their private moments of reverence. The interior pictures can be seen in my tip on this Cathedral..
This particular shot was taken from the bridge, late in the evening on December 2. 2005
The view in daylight revels the commercial buildings surrounding the Cathedral now. I am QUITE certain those where NOT there when the site was selected for the Cathedral years ago. While the presence of the commercial structures does not in any way subtract from the significance of the Cathedral, they do not add any aesthetic qualities that would enhance its "presentation".
- Pros:A beautiful city that four days of touring bearly scratched the surface
- Cons:A bit too hilly for a walking tour!!!
- In a nutshell:Out of the dark and into the light of new, modern Russia
While I did not have occasion to visit this center I did notice it at night because of the elegant lighting work. So I... more travel advice
This Cathedral was literaly cut into the side of the hill. Again this was also being renovated. very beautifully done I... more travel advice
Upstate1NY's Related Pages
Nizhniy Novgorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "an interesting place to go"
- "Last stop before Moscow (for me) on the Trans SRR"
- "The Birth Place of Russia"
- "Nizhny Novgorod (ex-Gorky)"
- "Oka and Volga meets eachother"
- "Nizhney Novgorad, or formerly known as Gorky"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Hotels in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Transportation in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Nightlife in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Restaurants in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Shopping in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Warnings and Dangers in Nizhniy Novgorod
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nizhniy Novgorod
- 17 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nizhniy Novgorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Commented on one of fabrice's Nizhniy Novgorod travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Annunciation Monastery"
- Wrote a Review The trade and Confrence Center in Nizhniy Novgorod Favorites
- updated a Nizhniy Novgorod Travel Page "Last stop before Moscow (for me) on the Trans SRR"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Moving tips from one..."
Photos in Nizhniy NovgorodSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Saratov Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 17 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bishkek Intro, 6 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Russia Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues