"Saratov, a jewel along the Volga" Saratov by Upstate1NY

Saratov Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 150 photos

Trinity Cathedral at 2:00 am

My first night in Saratov I was still on EDT from New York state. I awoke "bright eyed and bushy tailed" at 2:00 am. I lay gazing at my window at what at first I mistook for the sun. I discovered the "glow" was a beautifully lighted church, just across the plaza from the Solvakia Hotel, only after I got home and read more about Saratov did I find out that this was a famous Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Did a designer "slip one in"? a memorial "cross"?

In the morning I could see Trinity Cathedral across the plaza, in all it's glory; but I could also see, "on a hill far away", what appeared to be a cross. I did not ask about this immediatly or directly. My six weeks in St. Petersburg had taught me that while Russians personally where generally people of great personal ethics with "hints" of faith expressed by a cross on a neclace chain, they were wary of talking about that to a westerner. It seems they assumed that an American especially would "look askance" at outward expression of faith. People would only "open up" and talk when I memtioned my church, singing in the choir and being an ordained Decon. THEN, the gates opened up with shared expressions of apperciation of faith.

New Bell Tower

I had spotted Saratov Catherdral from the base of the memorial when we visited. My friend had to work on Sunday (such is the "lot" of doctors!). I took myself to church only to discover that it was "Standing Room Only" all the way to the street! I GLADLY waited in line, marveling over the number and ages of those wanting to attend church service that they were willing to wait in line half an hour or more to get into the church. (The line was growing faster that people could get in!)

• Last visit to Saratov: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2004

• eugini2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Dear Decon,you love Russia,don't you?It seems that Russian Orthodoxy attracts a lot of people!Awesome page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2005 at 6:10 AM

You are right, my friend, the views are superb! I am sorry I have never been there...Thanx!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 1:15 AM

what a marvellous city, russia has so many beautiful cities, it is impossible to see them all

• Yarusa's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2005 at 3:19 PM

Hi Lee, Great ! Let me make some comments..Eternal Flame Memorial (Around the "Town", street scenes of Saratov) is dedicated to the events in 1918, namely in terms of soviet period "Great October Socialist Revolution", but not to Afganistan. Best wishes !

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 2:37 PM

Wow! Great page! Really makes me go back to Saratov right away...

Upstate1NY

“"Onward and Upward"”

Badges & Stats in Saratov

Have you been to Saratov?