"Saratov, a jewel along the Volga" Saratov by Upstate1NY
Saratov Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 150 photos
My first night in Saratov I was still on EDT from New York state. I awoke "bright eyed and bushy tailed" at 2:00 am. I lay gazing at my window at what at first I mistook for the sun. I discovered the "glow" was a beautifully lighted church, just across the plaza from the Solvakia Hotel, only after I got home and read more about Saratov did I find out that this was a famous Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church.
In the morning I could see Trinity Cathedral across the plaza, in all it's glory; but I could also see, "on a hill far away", what appeared to be a cross. I did not ask about this immediatly or directly. My six weeks in St. Petersburg had taught me that while Russians personally where generally people of great personal ethics with "hints" of faith expressed by a cross on a neclace chain, they were wary of talking about that to a westerner. It seems they assumed that an American especially would "look askance" at outward expression of faith. People would only "open up" and talk when I memtioned my church, singing in the choir and being an ordained Decon. THEN, the gates opened up with shared expressions of apperciation of faith.
I had spotted Saratov Catherdral from the base of the memorial when we visited. My friend had to work on Sunday (such is the "lot" of doctors!). I took myself to church only to discover that it was "Standing Room Only" all the way to the street! I GLADLY waited in line, marveling over the number and ages of those wanting to attend church service that they were willing to wait in line half an hour or more to get into the church. (The line was growing faster that people could get in!)
I wandered along the road near the river just to see what i might find. Just before I got to the base of the brige there... more travel advice
The Volga is the MAJOR artery if not a path, through Saratov. The internal waterways in Russia connect the Black Sea to... more travel advice
Upstate1NY's Related Pages
Saratov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saratov, a jewel along the Volga"
- "A Crossroads where Traditional Blends with Modern"
- "Welcome :))"
- "Mixture of modern and old (or still undeveloped)"
- "City of Saratov on the Volga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saratov
- Hotels in Saratov
- Transportation in Saratov
- Restaurants in Saratov
- Warnings and Dangers in Saratov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saratov
- 18 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Saratov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saratov
Photos in SaratovSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Saratov Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 17 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bishkek Intro, 6 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Russia Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues