"Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, my venture into Central Asia" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishkek by Upstate1NY
Bishkek Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 327 photos
The picture is Lake Issyk Kul, the country, Kyrgyzstan (now known as the Kyrgyz Republic). These people are as independent as any you will read about. or meet. Especially the native Kyrgyz people. The legend of its origin says it started from 40 maidens who emerged from this lake. There are numerous statues and sculptures that celebrate the legend of it's orign.
Lake Issyk Kul is at an elevation of 5000 feet and is 2500 feet deep. It is the largest, highest, deepest, salt lake in the world.
It is surrounded by mountains and "Sanatoria". I visited Aurora Sanatoria for several days just to see more of the country. "Sanatoria" were really "spas" or "health retreats" during Soviet times. You actually went there for "Rest, Recreation and Recuperation" (aka "the vacation") for what ever "ailed" you.
The celebration of the Maidens appears in many places while it may not always have forty, it is always honoring the legend of the origins of the country and the people.
I was amazed when I heard that the seat of the Russian government in Moscow was called "The White House", now here I am in central asia, in The Kyrgyz Republic and they ALSO have "the White House" as the seat of their government!
- Pros:becareful what you assume, that whiich you see may not be what you think, and then again,...
- Cons:Some one needs to teach the the government airport securit about how to be civil if the Kyrgyz Republic really hopes to have people wnat to come back
- In a nutshell:Diffeent, in many ways a macrocosium, yet some elements within the larger society see themselves as citizens of the world.
As we traveled back to Bishkek we passed several "road side stands" selling, produce and what I thought looked like... more travel advice
The "theroritical" center of the city is the large plazza surrounded by governemnt buildings and moniumnets to... more travel advice
Upstate1NY's Related Pages
Bishkek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FIRST BISHKEK PAGE IN 4 YEARS"
- "Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, my venture into Central Asia"
- "Very young and very green"
- "Bishkek - Where is that?"
- "Yurt (Home Land )"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishkek
- Hotels in Bishkek
- Transportation in Bishkek
- Nightlife in Bishkek
- Restaurants in Bishkek
- Shopping in Bishkek
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishkek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishkek
- 6 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Bishkek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishkek
Photos in BishkekSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Saratov Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 17 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bishkek Intro, 6 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Russia Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues