"Breathtaking and Magical" Bryce Canyon National Park by CoAir13
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 588 reviews and 1,512 photos
Nestled in the Soutwest corner of Utah lies the spectacular Bryce Canyon National Park, set atop the Paunsuagunt Plateau. The valley below is still being carved out by the Paria River and its tributaries. These rushing waters carve into the stone to create "fins". These fins further erode into pinnacles or "hoodoos", which is a Paiute word meaning "to cast a spell".
Hues of orange and pink and white amaze and inspire all who visit this geologic wonder!
Evidence that this area has been inhabited for 12,000 years exists, but leaves little information. The Anasazi and Fremont cultures lived on the plateau and when the first Euro-Americans began to enter the region, it belonged to the Paiute. In the 1880's, this natural marvel was being explored by Captain Clarence Dutton and John Powell. They named many places in this valley using the Paiute language. Paunsaugunt means "home of the beavers", Yovimpa means "point of pines", and Panguitch (which is a large gulch), means "big fish".
- In a nutshell:Fascinating landscape that takes you to a different state of mind!!
If you can deal with steep, loose rock trails, I highly recommend descending into the canyon. The trails are a little... more travel advice
There are so many trails to hike...from short, easy ones to long, strenuous ones to overnight hikes! You can't go... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Hoodoos and Queens"
- "Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth"
- "Don't Think Thrice, Bryce is All Right!"
- "Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's"
- "Colourful and Weird Hoodoos at Bryce"
- "Bryce Canyon National Park"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 16 Bryce Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bryce Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bryce Canyon National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bryce Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Cleveland Forum "RE: RE: Going to be in Cleveland..."
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Bryce Canyon National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking"
- Wrote a Review Go On In in Bryce Canyon National Park Things to Do
- updated a Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Page "Breathtaking and Magical"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos