""The Quiet Side of the Smokies"" Townsend by CoAir13
Townsend Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 54 photos
Prior to the first white settlers' arrival in the late 1700's, the Cherokees called this area "Tuckaleechee", which means "peaceful valley". In 1900, a group of Pennsylvanians made their way to Tuckaleechee Cove, lead by Wilson B. Townsend. He bought 80,000 acres of land and formed the Little River Lumber Company. In order to log the rugged terrain, he had to build a railroad, as well. After renaming the place after himself, it became a logging town. Soon thereafter, the logging began to wane, and visitors started piling in. The rails were removed, but provided the beginnings of roads and trails into what would soon become Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
In the mid 1930's, much of the forest land originally purchased by W.B. Townsend was sold to the State of Tennessee then, subsequently handed over to the National Park Service. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited National Park in the United States.
Most people, when planning a trip to the Smokies, think of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. While both unique, they have lost themselves in a sea of tourists, attractions unrelated to the area, and traffic jams. These are the kinds of things I like to avoid when visiting a National Park...and I know I am not alone. That's why Townsend is perfect for those of us who want to get away from bright lights, souvenir shops, and fancy restaurants. There is a reason they trademarked "The Quiet Side of the Smokies"...they have every intention of keeping it that way. There are many different types of accomodations, restaurants, and activities without the frills and hassle!
- Pros:Solitude, serenity, silence!
- Cons:I honestly can't think of one!
- In a nutshell:Perfect place for your Smoky Mountain adventure!
This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of steam logging in the Smokies. Admission is FREE and appeals mostly... more travel advice
For a leisurely afternoon, rent a bike or walk the 4.45 loop trail through this small town. There are places along the... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Townsend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Quiet Side of the Smokies""
- "Townsend, TN in the Smoky Mountains"
- "2nd Honeymoon"
- "Townsend, Tennessee"
- "The Peaceful side of the Smoky's"
- "Townsend, TN - Entrance to Great Smokey Mtn NP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Townsend
- Hotels in Townsend
- Nightlife in Townsend
- Restaurants in Townsend
- Warnings and Dangers in Townsend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Townsend
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Townsend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Townsend
Photos in TownsendSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos