""The Quiet Side of the Smokies"" Townsend by CoAir13

Townsend Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 54 photos

Townsend

Prior to the first white settlers' arrival in the late 1700's, the Cherokees called this area "Tuckaleechee", which means "peaceful valley". In 1900, a group of Pennsylvanians made their way to Tuckaleechee Cove, lead by Wilson B. Townsend. He bought 80,000 acres of land and formed the Little River Lumber Company. In order to log the rugged terrain, he had to build a railroad, as well. After renaming the place after himself, it became a logging town. Soon thereafter, the logging began to wane, and visitors started piling in. The rails were removed, but provided the beginnings of roads and trails into what would soon become Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Birth of a National Park

In the mid 1930's, much of the forest land originally purchased by W.B. Townsend was sold to the State of Tennessee then, subsequently handed over to the National Park Service. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited National Park in the United States.

Smoky Mountain Serenity

Most people, when planning a trip to the Smokies, think of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. While both unique, they have lost themselves in a sea of tourists, attractions unrelated to the area, and traffic jams. These are the kinds of things I like to avoid when visiting a National Park...and I know I am not alone. That's why Townsend is perfect for those of us who want to get away from bright lights, souvenir shops, and fancy restaurants. There is a reason they trademarked "The Quiet Side of the Smokies"...they have every intention of keeping it that way. There are many different types of accomodations, restaurants, and activities without the frills and hassle!

• Pros:Solitude, serenity, silence!
  • Cons:I honestly can't think of one!
  • In a nutshell:Perfect place for your Smoky Mountain adventure!
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2005

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 6:54 PM

ring!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 3:40 PM

This looks like a very enjoyable spot! Maybe I was in Townsend and didn't know it. During a Nashville business trip, I took a free day and drove both the Foothills Parkway and the Cades Cove Loop!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 2:35 PM

Nice tips and photos. I've never been to that end of Tennessee, but it looks like a lovely area. And if it's quiet, so much the better.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Excellent tips on one of my favorite areas. I much prefer Townsend to the more crowded Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Your cabin looked great - and a decent price too.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 5:40 AM

Interesting history. My husband's father was a Townsend...worked the railroad. We should check out that cemetery!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2005 at 1:34 PM

Great page on Townsend Jen. I would have enjoyed the Tuckaleechee Caverns. Were there any bats in there? And the Bear'ly Rustic Cabins looked like a great place to call home for a few days.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 1:02 PM

Jen, my kind of place too. Thanks for the excellent tips. Is a clear day in the Smokies an oxymoron?

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2005 at 12:20 PM

hI Jen this a very nice page What a great area to relax eh .The cabins look fine ' I think it is time Lori & I make a visit to the smokeys . Maybe we will who knows Take care Jen & Ethan ] Huggssss

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 5:37 AM

i loved the smokies ,drove from tennesee to virginia across the roof . try a johnny appleseed restaurant ,every apple product

CoAir13

“People who deny evolution are they scariest of them all!!!”

Badges & Stats in Townsend

Have you been to Townsend?