"Sweet Home Rocky River" Rocky River by CoAir13
Rocky River Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 44 photos
The first permanent settlers came to this area, 9 miles West of Cleveland, in 1810. It was called Granger, Rockport, and Riverbank before being named Rocky River in 1893 after the river that borders the city to the east. Native Americans used to camp and store their canoes on the island near the mouth of the river where it meets Lake Erie.
Rocky River is an upper-middle class community bordered to the North by Lake Erie. While it seems dominated by stately lake houses and condominiums, there are also quaint, tree lined streets full of family homes and even apartments (that would be me!). There are no malls here, no Wal-Mart, no high rise buildings...while there are fast food places and chain stores, there are many more independently owned restaurants and shops! People here would rather go to the family owned hardware store than Home Depot, grab a burger at Herb's Tavern instead of McDonalds.
It is a quiet, clean, safe place to live...and the school system is one of the best in the state!
We have lived here for nine years and one of our favorite things about Rocky River is the Valley. The Rocky River Reservation in the Cleveland Metroparks is a glacial valley still being cut by the Rocky River. There are year round activities for the nature lover or outdoor enthusiast. Bike riding, hiking, fishing, horseback riding, sledding, cross-country skiing...Ethan and I try to do it all!
This is, by no means, a travel guide....more like a glimpse of life here in our little town!
- Pros:Quiet, picturesque, and safe place to live.
- Cons:A little "uppity" for my taste!
- In a nutshell:Dealing with the "uppity" for my child's education!
This is a beautiful Catholic Church and school that sits toward the center of town. The unique thing about this... more travel advice
I had to mention this toy store by name here. It's a wonderful shop full of books, collectibles, old fashioned toys, and... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Rocky River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Home Rocky River"
- "Nothing ever Changes 'eh?"
- "A GREAT WEEKEND WITH WONDERFUL FRIENDS"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rocky River
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Rocky River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rocky River
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos