"Village on the Ohio & Erie Canal" Canal Fulton by CoAir13
Canal Fulton Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 86 photos
Settlers first came to this area in 1814 looking for good land and a better life. At that time, Ohio was the western frontier and these settlers chose the west side of the Tuscarawas River to establish the town of Milan. In 1825, the state canal commission chose the east side of the river to build the Ohio & Erie Canal. A year later, the village of Fulton was laid out.
When the canal opened in 1827, it was the first major canal west of the Appalachians. Together with New York's Erie Canal, it became the most important transportation route of its day. It connected the Ohio frontier with New York and New Orleans and helped people and products flow across America.
By this time, Canal Fulton had a post office, three warehouses, two taverns, two stores, seven houses, and a population of 40. Downtown was split into two areas. The respectable Public Square (Canal and Market St.) was the merchandising and storage district. The sale of alcohol was prohibited in the area. Down the street was Brimstone Corners (Canal and Cherry St.) which boasted saloons and lodging houses. With a liquor establishment on every corner, the two parts of town were always at odds with one another!
Coal mining boosted the economy by the 1870's and the village became host to many industrial operations and manufacturers. The canal-era wood frame buildings were replaced with brick and stone commercial buildings, many of which still stand today.
Today, Canal Fulton is part of the 110 miles of National Heritage Corridor that lines the Ohio & Erie Canal. The Towpath Trail plays host to thousands of bikers, hikers, and joggers everyday.
- Pros:Slow paced, beautiful, relaxing!
- Cons:Progress and commercialism!
The preservation of many buildings in this historic village is impressive. Over 100 homes, buildings, and sites are... more travel advice
This shop specializes in bears, but also sells cats, dogs, bunnies, and other plush animals. I have never really been... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Canal Fulton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Village on the Ohio & Erie Canal"
- "Unchanged Port on the Ohio-Erie Canal"
- "sasa2977's new Canal Fulton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canal Fulton
- Restaurants in Canal Fulton
- Shopping in Canal Fulton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canal Fulton
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Canal Fulton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canal Fulton
Photos in Canal FultonSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos